question

leninade avatar image
leninade asked

100/50 MPPT not showing any wattage or amps in ConnectApp?

Please see picture. I'm trying to figure out why no watts are being tracked as well as the crruent/amps always seems to show zero in both solar and battery section. This happens even when I plug in a space heater and put it on high. That should definitely draw some amps. Please help.

Editing to add some more photos that may help:

Thanks!

MPPT ControllerschargerVictronConnectsolaramps
anyconnect.png (131.1 KiB)
1544463204453.png (44.3 KiB)
1544463209983.png (335.7 KiB)
1544463220985.png (383.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

If you have the heater on high, then it cannot be possible for the battery to be 14.1V unless energy is coming from somewhere else.

I am really beginning to think that the information yo are getting via the app is old data and something has frozen. Is it posssible to diisconnect PV and battery from the MPPT and reconnect to reset the MPPT and Bluetooth dongle?

12 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

leninade avatar image leninade commented ·

There should be a way to reset it. I will try that. I also noticed that as the sun goes down the voltage under the battery heading decreases(like down to 6 or 7 volts before the MPPT shuts off and then the bluetooth dongle shuts off). This leads me to believe that whatever is reading there isn't the voltage the battery is putting out but is somehow connected to the solar charging itself. I don't know a lot about it, but it seems to me that if nothing is drawing on the battery, the voltage shouldn't change as the sun goes down. The battery works after sunset though all night.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ leninade commented ·

It's doesn't normally need to be reset, but in this case, just trying to eliminate possibilities.
You are right about the battery voltage. Sure, it should go down at sunset, but only to 12.x Volts, definitely not 6V.

So now you've got me thinking that perhaps the battery and PV wiring is transposed, but why / how? It's not easy to see from the pictures. Has it been charging at all during the day? I guess it's difficult to say.

0 Likes 0 ·
leninade avatar image leninade wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for your help. I got a mutlimeter to test the voltage at the battery terminals. I'm pretty sure the battery voltage showing in the connect app is not corresponding with the terminal voltage. This morning I manually tested the terminal voltage and I got 11.67, but when I looked at the connect app it said the battery voltage was at 13.8 and the charger was in float mode. It's relatively sunny today and it says the solar charger is receiving 22.89 volts, yet still the app is showing 0 watts and 0 amps after several hours today.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
nightcrawler avatar image nightcrawler leninade commented ·

Have you checked the various fuses (master, mppt, etc)?

0 Likes 0 ·
leninade avatar image leninade nightcrawler commented ·

Sorry, had to run some errands. I'll go through the fuses and see if I can find anything off. I also ordered a battery tester just so I can check the battery directly and see what data comes out.

0 Likes 0 ·

Fuses appear to be good. I guess I'll wait for the battery tester to be delivered and see if that helps me clear anything up

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks for your help. I got a mutlimeter to test the voltage at the battery terminals. I'm pretty sure the battery voltage showing in the connect app is not corresponding with the terminal voltage. This morning I manually tested the terminal voltage and I got 11.67, but when I looked at the connect app it said the battery voltage was at 13.8 and the charger was in float mode. It's relatively sunny today and it says the solar charger is receiving 22.89 volts, yet still the app is showing 0 watts and 0 amps after several hours today.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

That battery Voltage is really low, you need to charge with the Multiplus as soon as you can.

Where did you measure the battery voltage, was it at the terminals of the actual battery or was it at the screw terminals of the MPPT? We want to measure at the screw terminals of the MPPTbattery connection to eliminate more possbilities.

0 Likes 0 ·

I measured right at the battery screws. I plugged it into shore power after to charge, but I was really disappointed that the solar charger didn't appear to be passing through the charge. How much would temperature affect things? It's approximately 20 deg F here today. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

I'm afraid that indicates a fault with the MPPT charge controller. It seems that it can't "see" the battery. It should be measuring the same voltage that you can see on the screw terminals.

I was hope to find some sort of wiring or fuse fault, but I think we have exhasted those options. Unless someone else has better ideas than I do?

0 Likes 0 ·

Wkirby - Great news, I think I solved it. You may have been right afterall. Do you know what the heck this thing is?

I *think* it has something to do with the previous owner setting up the RV to charge from the alternator when running, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I moved the switch from one side to the other and now the solar charger appears to be working correctly. It's showing amps, watts, and the volts under battery are matching the volts at the terminal.

1 Like 1 ·
1544736025461.png (285.9 KiB)

That is excellent news @leninade
Yes, that is a circuit breaker. I'm so pleased that you found it, I had run out of ideas.

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Polz avatar image
Peter Polz answered ·

Did you have a second charger connected to Batteriesystem? The charger state (float at 14.1V)and the Panel Voltage (22.8 near VOC of 36cell Moduls)looks like that. Or do you really set the Float voltage in mppt on 14.1V?
If you already have a second Charger and the MPPT float voltage is set lower than 14.1 the result is that you have no charging from MPPT to Batterie => Watt and Amp => 0

10 comments
2 |3000

appreciate your response. This is all still quite new to me as I obtained the system as part of an RV purchase. The alternator can charge the batteries and there is a victron multiinverter and shore power connection. However, during the time of this screenshot, the alternator was off and the RV was not plugged into shore power. Do you have any other ideas or is there more information I could get you that might help troubleshoot? I'm really sorry that I'm so ignorant at how this all works.

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Polz avatar image Peter Polz leninade commented ·

Which exakt kind of PV Module did you have in System? Please show me also your BatterieSettings Screenshot out of Victron Connect

1 Like 1 ·
leninade avatar image leninade Peter Polz commented ·

Battery Settings ^^

Setup:

the batteries are lifeline gpl-6ct.

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
1544463024090.png (230.6 KiB)
1544463090008.png (335.7 KiB)
1544463108123.png (3.9 MiB)

Its like my first thought. If your Floating Voltage is like standard 13.8V there you have to recheck external Chagers because with batterie Voltage of 14.1V there couldn't be any charge from Mppt in float state. That means anything else must pushup the Voltage to 14.1V.

1 Like 1 ·

I'll do more digging and see what I can find. Any ideas on why the battery section wouldn't show any amps out when I turn on the space heater? Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

As written you cant see because mppt is in float state <=13.8V And your voltage is upper 14.1V. As long Batteryvoltage is in state float upper floatvoltage your charger batterysection will be 0 A

1 Like 1 ·

Hi Peter - Thanks for your help. I got a mutlimeter to test the voltage at the battery terminals. I'm pretty sure the battery voltage showing in the connect app is not corresponding with the terminal voltage. This morning I manually tested the terminal voltage and I got 11.67, but when I looked at the connect app it said the battery voltage was at 13.8 and the charger was in float mode. It's relatively sunny today and it says the solar charger is receiving 22.89 volts, yet still the app is showing 0 watts and 0 amps after several hours today.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

If you test 11.67 on the Batterie Terminal Screws of the MPPT, and your charger Show up 13.8V on Batterie in Victron Connect. I am pretty sure you blowUP you internal Fuse. That mostly happens if charger was missconned on battery. In That case the charger is dead... BTW you should not accept an answer if it isn't the solution, because in most times, after accepted aswers no one will look for it

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ Peter Polz commented ·

@Peter Polz
He accepted the answer because he has actually found and fixed the problem.
In the other chain of comments in this thread, he reported that he had found a circuit breaker. He then accepted the answer at the top of that chain.

It gets confusing when there are two chains of comments to follow right? Even worse, when the chain gets long and you have to click "show more comments".

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Polz avatar image Peter Polz wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

ah ok i see.. thats really i little bit hard to follow him ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
nightcrawler avatar image
nightcrawler answered ·

Could you share a screenshot of the battery settings? That would help determine what is set for bulk, absorption, and float. Also, what kind of batteries are connected?

1 comment
2 |3000

The batteries are lifeline gpl-6ct. I uploaded photos in the comment above and will try to edit original post. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
nixonlm1950 avatar image
nixonlm1950 answered ·

Did you find the solution?

I have the same issue. I have four roof panels connected to a 100/50 controller and two ground deploy panels with its own 100/30 controller. The settings on both controllers are identical. When I last used the roof and ground deploy panels everything worked fine. Now this issue has popped up:

The groun d deploy panels are working fine (100/30), but the roof panels (100/50) shows volts and no amps or watts.

I’ve unplugged the roof panels and the voltage drops to zero as expected. I disconnected the 100/50 controller from the panels and the battery, disabled the 100/30 charger in the app, and reinstalled the 100/50 per the directions. It didn’t solve the issue with the 100/50 showing voltage and no amps.

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, he found a circuit breaker which was switched off.
Would it be possible for you to make a new question with your problem. This thread is quite long and other people might miss it.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic