question

lopezjm2001 avatar image
lopezjm2001 asked

How to increase communications length between CCGX and MPPT 150/60?

Newby here, first post. It probably has been asked before.

I have a Victron Smart Solar 150/60-Tr on order. Planning to use a CCGX with my MPPT 150/60.

The Victron site says that a VE.Direct cable is limited to a maximum length of 10 metres between a CCGX and a MPPT charger. My CCGX will be in the kitchen about an 18 metre cable run to the MPPT 150/60Tr. So a VE.Direct cable is out.

Is there an alternate method of stablishing communications between a CCGX and a MPPT 150/60 Tr when located > than 10 metres apart? TIA.

MPPT ControllersCCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @lopezjm2001,

This is covered briefly in the GX manuals, the supported solution is to use an Active USB extension cable, and the VE.Direct to USB adapter.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @lopezjm2001

A broader approach, especially as you may have other kit connected to the GX, is to leave it near the kit and just use an ethernet/wifi link to duplicate it's functionality *wherever*.

One of the big attractions of the GX is web access (VRM). So you can do both at the same time, same wire/wifi.

Even if you didn't have it web-routed, a direct link-local connection can be made anyway.

The CCGX has a screen, but there's other GX models that don't. And this is why. It isn't actually essential when you can byo.

3 comments
2 |3000

lopezjm2001 avatar image lopezjm2001 commented ·

Thanks. My main reason for using a CCGX is to use the heartbeat signal to hook up an LG Chem 13 battery using a VE.Can to CAN-bus BMS type B Cable. I did not think of using a USB wifi dongle or a USB ethernet adapter. Having a fail-over is a good idea.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ lopezjm2001 commented ·

@lopezjm2001

Just to be clear. I wasn't talking failover, but full remote access/control of the GX even from the other side of the world. Via it's ethernet port or usb-wifi (approved dongle or onboard with some GX's).

The LGChem batt would likely use the local GX Can port, but I suggest you check this further before heavily committing, there may be issues.

This link may need updating: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:lg_chem_resu

Maybe ask a separate question to help determine what the current situation is with these batts.

0 Likes 0 ·
lopezjm2001 avatar image lopezjm2001 JohnC ♦ commented ·

I have already been reading that link and all the LG Chem questions on the forum. It is very fluid. Hoping that Victron will come up with an off-grid solution.

0 Likes 0 ·