question

bjoern-tore-hoem avatar image
bjoern-tore-hoem asked

Is Victron Color GX and Victron Phoenix MultiPluss 12/2000/80 incompatible?

Hi - just bought a mountain cabin with a preinstalled solar system with a Victron Phoenix MultiPluss 12/2000/80 inverter and charger, Epever 3210A MPPT charger, Honda generator with manual remote start and 2 Rolls 6A batteries.

The configuration of the Multipluss is set up so it automatically starts charging the batteries when the Honda generator is activated.

I am all new to this, so I thought it would be a good idea to buy a Victron Color GX battery status monitor. But as soon as we installed it (ethernet from Multiplus), the automation with the generator stopped working. The only way to reenable it, is to disconnect the Color GX and reload the configuration file for the Multipluss.

Any ideas why this happens? Are these devices incompatible?

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Bjoern Tore Hoem

connecting the CCGX shouldn't change any settings in the Multiplus, but what exactly do you mean by:

"reload the configuration file for the Multiplus "

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bjoern-tore-hoem answered ·

Hi Daniel and thank you for replying. I have a config file for the Multipluss that I received from the previous owner. When I connect the CCGX with the Ethernet cable from the Multiplus, something is changed in the Multiplus, since the automatic charging from generator is permanently disabled from then, and afterwards.

To enable the automation, I have to disconnect the CCGX and reload/ install/ send the config file.

I attach the config file here for you to see.

Thank you for helping out.

Bjørn ToreMørch.zip

mørch.zip (921 B)
8 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Bjoern Tore Hoem

In the configuration file you sent, there is not generator control setting anywhere.

Also, the firmware is very old, (154) I advice you to update to most recent version first.

But...when re-reading your text, I see I misread it: I thought you had the generator start automatically from the Multiplus..

So now I'm a bit lost to how you have things working, is the multi always on normally? or only when the generator is running?

You might want to look into automatic starting of the generator by the GX device, this is a very flexible way to have the generator start automatically (or manually) by the GX:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:generator_start_stop

0 Likes 0 ·
bjoern-tore-hoem avatar image bjoern-tore-hoem Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) and thank you for your reply.

The MultiPluss 12/2000/80 is "on" when we are at the cabing, and set to "off" when we leave. Charging of the batteries (2 Rolls S-605 6V batteries serial to 12V) via 300W/36V solar panel with Epever EP Solar Tracer MPPT 3210A regulator.

Generator Honda EU30 is manually started via separate remote start. Generator power via Multiplus charger to batteries.

When the CCGX is not connected to Multipluss, charging of batteries automatically starts when the generator is started. When I connect the CCGX, nothing happens when the generator is started, unless I manually flip the switch to "Charger".

Bjørn Tore

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ bjoern-tore-hoem commented ·

Can you check what the 'switch position' is under 'devices - multi'?

0 Likes 0 ·
bjoern-tore-hoem avatar image bjoern-tore-hoem Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff). Will do - we plan to travel to the cabin the coming weekend.

Bjørn Tore

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi again, @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

Just wanted to check with you if you refer to these DIP switches?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ bjoern-tore-hoem commented ·

Switch position as seen in the Color Control:

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff). I thought you were referring to the DIP switches in the Multipluss.

As for the Color Control switch you refer to above, I can confirm it is set to "on". I also tried off, charger only and inverter only, but it does not change the odd behaviour of the automatic switch to charge.

I do not remember which position it was set to upon the first connection to the Multiplus. I can try to set it to "on" before I reconnect to the Multipluss, to see if that works.

Bjørn Tore

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Bjoern Tore Hoem

Please try, and if it doesn't help, please get someone with Victron experience to see the system and help you explain (and maybe find out if something is wrong with it)

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Bjoern Tore Hoem

There is one setting in the Multi that the CCGX can override, and that's the 'Input Current Limit'. It's shown in Daniel's screenshot. Try setting that to a limit your Honda can handle without tripping it's inverter output. Say 10A (@ 230V) to test.

The Multi also has a setting like this within it's config file, but it may also have the 'Overruled By Remote' box checked.

1 comment
2 |3000

bjoern-tore-hoem avatar image bjoern-tore-hoem commented ·

Hi @JohnC.

The solution to the problem was the "Input Current Limit". It was set to 4,5 and I changed it to 12.

Thank you for your kind help and advice.

Bjørn Tore

0 Likes 0 ·
espen avatar image
espen answered ·

Hi Bjørn Tore,

First, as mentioned here, you should get the firmware updated on the Multi.

Is there, or has it been an external switch (on, off, charge) connected to the Multi? If so, to get the ccgx to work, the external switch has to be removed and the jumper links on the 3pole terminal block inside the Multi need to be reattatched (check your manual for location).

/Espen

2 |3000

bjoern-tore-hoem answered ·

Just a followup question related to a comment in this thread that my Multiplus firmware was not entirely up to date.

Will the system retain my settings while updating, or must I upload the config file again after the update?

Thank you, Bjørn Tore

2 |3000