question

vincen avatar image
vincen asked

How to synchronise or to do a proper charge with a Blue Smart charger and Smart Solar MPPT without a GX system

Hello everybody,

This is a classic topic for tiny ESS Systems (for a small campervan).

Here is the configuration

1 x BMV 712 Smart
1 x Smart Battery Sense
1 x SmartSolar MPPT
1 x Battery 100Ah 12V (Max charge current 25A)
1 x Solar Panel 115W 12V
1 x Battery Protect 12/24V (not Smart)
1 x BlueSmart Charger 12V
(Optionally 1 x Phoenix Charger (not Smart))

I'd like to know if there is a built-in function to synchronise the charge between those two chargers (BlueSmart Charger + SmartSolar MPPT). If not, i hope that this will be implemented in the next years.

Note : I don't want to buy a GX system such as Venus GX or ColorControl GX for available space reason and also the price.

I found many subjects on the strategy to "associate" the charge of those two components :

1. How intelligent are the SMART systems and can they communicate with each other?
  2. Simple Campervan with solar & Bluesmart mains charger
  3. Help please, questions about conflicts between mppt, ac dc charger and alternator engine...
  4. Can I combine a Blue Smart Charger and a MPPT BlueSolar charge controller
  5. MPPT 75/10 75/15 and BatteryLife and external chargers
  6. How to setup multiple chargers connecting simultaneously.

There are pieces of answers on those subjects but it remains not clear to me.

Should i understand that at the moment this is technicaly possible to connect two different chargers but this is not optimised ?

I also see that VE is working on making the Blue Smart Charger compatible with VE.Smart Networking (Here).

In the end my question is this : How to synchronise or to do a proper charge with a Blue Smart charger and Smart Solar MPPT without a GX system and is there strong VE ressources on this subject ?

Looking forward to reading you.

Vince
MPPT Controllerschargersystem designVE.Smart Network
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @VinceN;

Unfortunately, no, the Blue Smart Charger is not currently VE.Smart Networking capable, so there is no charge synchronization possible - and there wouldn't be even with a GX device on the system, as GX devices also are not VE.Smart Networking capable

Fortunately, there is no need for synchronization; multiple standalone charge sources will simply charge the battery until it is full and then they will stop; synchronization as we see among SmartSolar MPPTs is a neat trick and a highly anticipated one, but entirely unnecessary in roughly 98% of cases.

So long as you do not ever exceed the maximum charge current recommendation for your particular battery, you can connect as many charge sources to it in parallel as you like and they will all simply contribute whatever is appropriate/whatever they have available at the time to contribute.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vincen avatar image
vincen answered ·

@Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA many thanks !

I think i will just go for a 10A MPPT and 15A charger for my battery that charge with 25A max.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE.Smart Networking Manual