question

bruce32466 avatar image
bruce32466 asked

Trying to use assistants to enable mains pass thru to AC out 2 while in solar priority

Guy.

Nice webinar. this is the person that participated from California (Kyle) My name's actually Bruce. I was using my son's PC and his name auto populated on the conferencing app.

System is a 24/5000/120 with 150/70 MPPT 1700W solar panels on an RV.

First section handles the BMS signals.

Second section turns on the AC out 2 circuit.

The rest is using the general flag to setup conditions for for mains to be used or not.

I'm using a BMV 700 to trigger the mains to be used if the SOC gets too low (relay closed) or turn mains off when SOC is above set voltage (relay open). This sets up solar as priority over mains.

All working good so far =)

Here's the part I can't seem to get to work...

With the AC out 2 enabled, I plug in my electric car on AC out 2, instead of the Multiplus turning on mains, it overloads the inverter and then restarts.

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1585102053081.png (36.0 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bruce32466 avatar image bruce32466 commented ·

Nobody?...

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @bruce32466

what function do you want for AC-out2? as of now you only turn it 'on' and never 'off'

Also: connecting to mains is not instant, it has to synchronize first (get frequency and voltage the same as the grid and then connect)

thirdly: with a 1 second and 5 second delay, the unit might continuously connect and disconnect, better to set minimum connection time longer.

Do you have a GX device in the system? that can also make things easier to program, and SOC information from the BMV can be sent to the multi.

PS. 4000W before connecting to grid is also a bit on the high side for most systems.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bruce32466 avatar image bruce32466 commented ·

You posted as I was typing my message. Anyway, thank you for the answer. I set AC out 2 on so I can just plug an electric vehicle into it and have the multi+ switch automatically on a daily basis. I didn't see any reason to turn it off. Is there a better way to turn on AC out 2 automatically as well?

It does take a little time to connect and with the electric car pulling 7000 watts it groans for about 3 to 4 seconds.

Would 10 be a better option or higher?

I do not have a GX device. Would be nice but maybe some other time.

The summary above was a previous screen shot. The watts is actually set for 3500 not 4000. This is the 24/5000/120 multiplus and you still thinking 4000 is high?

Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ bruce32466 commented ·

Hi @bruce32466

'if it works'...it works ;)

now you basically don't use the capabilities of AC-out2: the ability to switch it... for example: switch it 'off' when battery voltage is low (if you have a GX device, you can also use SOC from the BMV as a trigger), and...switch AC-out2 off when no AC is available.

also, when you have other loads running, and plug in the EV charger, the Multi might go down in overload before it can connect to grid.

0 Likes 0 ·
bruce32466 avatar image
bruce32466 answered ·

Nevermind! I figured it out. I needed to set the programible relay (2) to 0 seconds. Now, when I plug in a 3500W load on AC out 2, the multiplus turns on mains and passes it through.

image.png (21.0 KiB)
2 |3000