question

justmurph avatar image
justmurph asked

Can a Multiplus 24/5000 run a 2.2kW SCUBA compressor?

Hi all.

I'm currently designing a system for my sail boat that I would like to run a Bauer Junior II dive compressor (2.2kW) from a Multiplus 24/5000. My research so far has indicated that people typically spec a 8-9kW generator to handle the start up current of the compressor. In my case, I won't have any generator.

My research has dug up anecdotal evidence of a 5kW inverter (unknown brand) starting a Junior II with a smart softstart from Hyper Engineering. I'm hoping that Victron inverters, given their capability to do 200% for 30 cycles should be able to start the compressor without issue, however I'd like to be a little more certain before dropping the $$$.

Does anyone know of this being done successfully?

Could the MP 5k still start it, even if the ambient temperatures are a bit higher (40ºC)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Justin

@Botnic How is yours going?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargersystem design
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

karl-leibensperger avatar image karl-leibensperger commented ·

I power a Nardi dive compressor by two MultiPlus units in parallel but eliminated the peak via a frequency drive. I don't seem to get over 2500 watts draw at any time.

0 Likes 0 ·
8 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@JustMurph I think in some ways you have answered your own question there. You already know a bigger capacity generator is needed. Also ambient temperatures will mean you have to de-rate both the inverter and battery capabilities. Motors are a particularly interesting load for any power source as the KvA rating can be massive especially if the power factor is not great due to age and other factors.

In any case at 8000Va from a 24V battery the battery alone woul have to be able to deliver over 330A of power. I dont know any that can do that without issue at 25 degrees C never mind higher. Possibly consider a 48V system. The Victron can handle quite a surge current for short bursts if the battery can deliver, but go with one that will handle the load under operating temperature de-rating.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

justmurph avatar image justmurph commented ·

Thank you Alexandra. I will be running 2 x Victron LPF Smart 25.6/200 batteries in parallel. Recommended continuous discharge is under 200A.

The compressor will only be pulling ~90A once started, so 45A per battery. They should have no problem doing that. On top of that the solar pumps out ~50A in full sun. So....batteries shouldn't be a problem.

Either way, as Botnic said the inverter won't start it without a softstart....and up here in Queensland, Australia, I'm concerned the temperature derating will be an issue.

Appreciate the input.

0 Likes 0 ·
botnic avatar image
botnic answered ·

Hello Justin

The Multiplus 5000 alone could not start our compressor (Bavaria FUN, allmost identical to the Bauer Junior). Together with our generator FischerPanda 5000i Neo it works fine. Once running, the generator can handle the load. Neither the generator nor the Inverter can start it on its own.

Kind regards
Botnic

2 comments
2 |3000

botnic avatar image botnic commented ·

We do not use any softstart system.

0 Likes 0 ·
justmurph avatar image justmurph botnic commented ·

Appreciate the feedback Botnic. Cheers.

0 Likes 0 ·
justmurph avatar image
justmurph answered ·

As a quick update, we've been bench testing my system with our 2.2kW single phase shop compressor (while waiting for the Bauer). Quite impressively the Multiplus managed to start the compressor every time, both unloaded and loaded and even when fully heat soaked. This compressor does have a start capacitor on it as standard, which I believe the bauer doesn't. This is where the Sure Start from Hyper Enginering will help.

We should have the Bauer this week and will test some more.

2 |3000

justmurph avatar image
justmurph answered ·

Well, I have a clear answer now, no, you cannot run a Bauer Junior on a 5kW Multiplus. It turns out the Hyper Engineering made a big mistake when they originally told me they'd tested this combination with their Sure Start on a 5kW inverter.....and now tell me the smallest they tested on was 7.5kW.

Big omission guys. I now have a massively oversized inverter and a compressor with a hacked up terminal box that I can't run.

Anyway, moving on to plan B. 3 phase motor and a 1 to 3 phase VFD.

2 comments
2 |3000

the-doon avatar image the-doon commented ·

Would it be cheaper to install a second Multiplus in parallel?

Disregard, I just had a look at the price.

0 Likes 0 ·
justmurph avatar image justmurph the-doon commented ·

That's it. :)

Under a $1k to do the 3 phase motor + VFD option and a lot lighter. My boat is a bit weight sensitive, so keeping it light is a priority.

0 Likes 0 ·
rmarsh3309 avatar image
rmarsh3309 answered ·

@JustMurph I'm converting my existing Bauer II Jr to electric as part of a LiPo upgrade. I've been pondering the exact issues you've faced - and with the same products. Are you you still chipping away at that problem? I"m keen to find out how it turned out.

1 comment
2 |3000

justmurph avatar image justmurph commented ·

Hi Rmarsh,

I ended up buying a 3kw single to three phase Siemens VFD and swapped the compressor motor to a 3 phase WEG unit. It’s a great setup that runs really well when running from the batteries and solar. I have the ramp up set to 5 seconds which results no startup current spike. The multiplus handles it easily.

The downside is that the multiplus can’t handle doing power assist when running the 2kw Honda generator into its AC input while running the compressor. From what I’ve worked out, the VFD’s front end rectifier is pretty hard on the inverter in the generator resulting in a poor power factor and bad harmonics. The multiplus then struggles to sync to this wave form, can’t provide enough assistance and the generator overloads.

So, my recommendation depends on how you intend to charge your system. If you have a DC generator (or other DC sources), you’re fine. If you have a larger AC generator, you’d also be fine. If you are gong to use a smaller generator and aren’t going to dive a heap and can charge after running the compressor, you’re fine. If you’re like me and sometimes do back to back fills all day, so need to be charging and filling at the same time, a smaller generator will not work. I have one option left for correcting the power factor, but if that doesn’t work, then I’m looking to go DC, with a 24V brushless DC motor and speed controller. I’m still looking for suitable components.

Any questions, I’m happy to help.

0 Likes 0 ·
vanpuravida avatar image
vanpuravida answered ·

Interesting post, but still not sure about what we should use, please, help !

We are a van conversion company. One of our next customers is a scuba diver and will be off grid with I suppose 370W solar panel. His Sprinter 2019 doesn't have a smart alternator. He wants to have a compressor in his van to fill the Oxygen tank. He wants Victron material with about 300W solar panel and a relay charger. He will have a hook up possibility but won't have regular access. Traveling in Africa and Scotland ... extreme temperature.

Here is the link for the compressor that would run for about 30min every 2-3 days.

I emailed the company to have more info regarding the starting power, here tare the different answers I received.

“The start up current for the MCH6, 2.2kW 50hZ compressor is approximately 66 Amps

The compressor must be free of residue pressure, the gauge must read 0 bar before start up otherwise AMPS could be more”

“The answer is 83 Amps.

At the start, the electric motors need a variable amount of Ampere from 3 to over 5 times those written on the plate.

It depends on the type of engine and where you get the electrical power from.

I'll give you an example:

3kw 16Ampere in the house and the compressor is able to start and work.

However, if you have to use a power generator, it must be at least 8KVA otherwise it won't start.”

In top of this compressor,

electric induction hob, 12V fridge 100L, lights, laptop 4h/day, phone charging, standard 12v lights.

I don’t know which type of system and batteries he should use ?

Thanks for advising me. XX

Cecile

@Vanpuravida

2 |3000

justmurph avatar image
justmurph answered ·

2.2kW is the same size as my compressor, so you'll have the same issues trying to start it. The ultimate solution is a DC motor conversion, but that's not a quick or simple exercise. The easiest electric solution is pretty much what I've done. You'll need the three phase motor version of the compressor (or to convert it - easy) and to then run it with a small single phase to three phase VSD (variable speed drive). You would run this from the inverter (minimum of 3kW continuous output @ ambient temp).

Batteries will need to be lithium. Lead acid can't handle the currents. A fill on my system uses about 1kwh, so you'll need to factor this into the battery sizing, seeing as most of the power will come from the batteries. That's a fair chunk of the days generation from a 300W solar panel, so I'd recommend getting a bit more solar up there if possible. You can do up to 600W in a single panel (2.4m) these days, or maybe a pair of 400W 1.7m panels turned sideways.

I'd be going at least 400AH for the battery bank.

2 |3000

tmva avatar image
tmva answered ·

Hi Justin

We are trying to run a similar setup but are having some issues.

Can you please specify what VFD you are using?

And do you have any fluctuating in Voltage or amp, and if so how much?

Best regards Thorsten

2 |3000