question

camanodave avatar image
camanodave asked

(Solved) BMV712 Bluetooth missing

I cannot discover my new BMV 712 with the Victron Connect App on my iphone. Setting 71 is not shown when I scroll through the settings, they skip from #69 back to #1. Any suggestions out there?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ยท

@camanodave, the first obvious question is, are you sure it's a -712 and not a -702?

Second, did you make sure to give the VictronConnect app access to coarse location services when you first installed it? This is a critical requirement that's fairly often overlooked.

If the answer to both of those questions is "yes", then I'll refer you to the troubleshooting section of the VictronConnect manual; if you run through all those steps and are still having no luck, then I suggest you contact the authorized distributor from whom you purchased the device, and they'll be able to either provide additional troubleshooting assistance and/or start the RMA process if they determine the device to be likely defective.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

camanodave avatar image
camanodave answered ยท

Thanks Justin.

I'm really sure it is a 712 both by front panel and P/N on the back. I'll re-install the app and be more careful and try again. The lack of access to setting #71 on the BMV is confusing still.

7 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Agreed, that's why I initially asked about whether it's really a -712 (there was recently an incident where Amazon mis-labeled a bunch of -702s as -712s, thus my question).

In reality, though, your -712 may not have recent-enough FW for the setting 71 to show up, though, as I believe that was a relatively recent (as in, in the last 6 months or so) addition to the menu options... that could explain its absence, if you have an early '19 model 712.

Hopefully reinstalling the app with location permission will resolve the issue.

0 Likes 0 ยท
camanodave avatar image camanodave Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Thanks for the input. I'll re-try the APP ASAP. Is it possible for civilians to upgrade the FW? The unit is 2 months old (purchased locally in Seattle) and shows the Bluetooth symbol on the front so I'd think it should be BT capable.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ camanodave commented ยท

@camanodave, it absolutely is possible... via bluetooth :-P When you do finally get it connected, VictronConnect will let you know that there are FW updates and will automatically guide you through them... but you kinda have to be connected first.

It is possible to load in the FW manually using a VE.Direct USB Interface connected to your computer (or phone, using USB adapters as necessary), but I'm really hoping the app reinstallation will solve the problem, since through the app over bluetooth is definitely the easiest way to perform FW updates.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Thanks again. I really appreciate the help.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Daniel avatar image Daniel camanodave commented ยท

Try to restart your iPhone. A couple of days someone had this problem with a mppt.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Thanks Justin. I really appreciate your help. I deleted then reloaded the Connect App and everything went as it should. I didn't check to see if setting #71 magically appeared as I had other fish to fry this afternoon. I'll be keeping Bay Marine Supply in mind.

DC

0 Likes 0 ยท
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ camanodave commented ยท

@camanodave, happy to help!

0 Likes 0 ยท