question

kradenko avatar image
kradenko asked

MPPT Solar Charger shows Solar energy after dark.

Hi,

My Setup:

1 x Multiplus 48/5000

1 x 250/100 Victron MPPT charge controller

6 x Canadian Solar 405W Solar Panels

1 x Venus GX Controller

1 x BMV 712 Battery Monitor

4 x 120Ah AGM Batteries

I have had it happen once before that the VenusGX/MPPT controller is showing that I am still getting a decent charge after dark. It is so dark now I need a light outside to see where I am walking. It's almost as if something has got stuck. Any idea why it does this and/or how I can reset it?

Attached is a image of the current power flow.

Kind Regards,

Davin Hansen

Multiplus-IIMPPT ControllersVenus GX - VGXSolar Panel
2020-01-21-2.png (47.8 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

What happens when you unplug the ve direct cable from the mppt?

0 Likes 0 ·
kradenko avatar image kradenko klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Nothing happens. If I bluetooth to the MPPT unit it still shows charge. Same as listed above in my image. I need to disable the charger and re-enable it then it seems to reset.

Not a bug I think I like.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

I’d like to get some of these panels please!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Davin. Yes, try rebooting it. Device List' > 'Settings' > 'General' > 'Reboot'.

2 |3000

kradenko avatar image
kradenko answered ·

@JohnC I tried that, problem persisted, wasn't a problem on the VenusGX Looks as if the MPPT loses it's configuration. The only voltages listed on the VictronConnect app was 12V and 24V. 36V and 48V wasn't even listed. I actually had to reflash the MPPT controller via the VRM portal to hard reset it. Now it has returned to a stable operation.

This is now the second time this happens. @mvader (Victron Energy Staff) is there a known issue with the MPPT's software where it corrupts? Don't really want to have to watch my solar system every day to make sure it doesn't lock up again.

Thanks!

2 |3000