question

omondi-odhiambo avatar image
omondi-odhiambo asked

MPPT Solar Charge Controller unable to reach Float when connected to Color Control GX

Why is it that my VE.Direct BlueSolar MPPT Solar Charge Controller 150/45 v1.37 as a stand-alone charges my 4 x 12V AGM 205Ah @ 20Hr Trojan Solar batteries from Bulk, Absorption to Float with ease but when connected to Color Control GX v2.23 along with MultiPlus 48/1200/12-16 230V VE.Bus v433 and Battery BMV-721 Smart Monitor v4.01, the batteries are only charged from Bulk to Absorption, never reaching Float?

I am also aware from the ESS Design and Installation Manual that for systems with the ESS Assistant installed, the MPPT Solar Chargers will follow the charge curve as set in VEConfigure. The charge parameters configured in the MPPT Solar Chargers are ignored in an ESS setup. But this should not affect the state of charging batteries from Bulk, Absorption to Float especially in places with an average of 6 hours of bright sunshine per day. Why am I experiencing this problem?

MPPT ControllersESSCCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I had a look at your system on VRM. But there is some very strange gaps that appear in the data, around when you are talking about. Do you know a possible reason for why the MPPT data is dropping out?

It may also explain why you aren't seeing consistent charge cycles from bulk, to absorption to float?

There also hasn't been an update to your VRM for 14 days.

If internet connectivity is an issue, you are probably best to work with a local technician with Victron training.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

omondi-odhiambo answered ·

Hi @Guy Steward (Victron Community Manager),

Many thanks for your response. The strange gaps that appear in my MPPT data in VRM between 2nd and 9th May is explained by my deliberate effort to allow the batteries to fully charge from bulk to absorption to float. I usually disconnected the VE.Direct BlueSolar MPPT Solar Charge Controller 150/45 v1.37 from the Color Control GX v2.23 whenever battery charging was stuck at absorption and when I did that, the charging advanced from absorption to float with MPPT charge controller as a stand-alone. This is the reason why the MPPT data is dropping out. In other words, when my system (comprising of BlueSolar MPPT Solar Charge Controller 150/45 v1.37, 4 x 12V AGM 205Ah @ 20Hr Trojan Solar batteries, Color Control GX v2.23, MultiPlus 48/1200/12-16 230V VE.Bus v433 and BMV-721 Smart Monitor v4.01) is connected to the CCGX, the batteries are only charged from bulk to absorption, never reaching float, but when I disconnect the MPPT from CCGX, the charging is smooth from bulk, absorption to float.

Secondly, I have not connected my system to the internet as yet and that is why there hasn't been an update to my VRM for 14 days. I simply uploaded the vrmlogger-backlog data file from CCGX to the VRM Portal manually the first time and updated the data file today.

Lastly, regarding working with a local technician with Victron training, there is none unless you know of one that you would like to recommend.

2 |3000

mecheng85 avatar image
mecheng85 answered ·

@Omondi Odhiambo,

I realize that this is an older thread, but I am experiencing the same issue. Were you ever able to resolve it?

Thanks

2 |3000

Hi @MechEng85.

Thank you for your query. My answer is yes, I was able to resolve the problem I was experiencing at the time. The solution came later last year in December 2019 when I upgraded my BlueSolar Charger MPPT 150/48 to the latest available firmware v1.47. The upgrade resolved the problem.

I addition, I also made sure that both the internal charge logarithm (bulk > absorption > float > and so forth) of my MPPT BlueSolar Charger and MultiPlus 48/1200/13-16 inverter/charger had identical absorption and float charge voltages and other parameters configured in VictronConnect and VEConfigure.

Good luck.

2 |3000

Hi @Guy Steward (Victron Community Manager),

I posted this response to you on May 29, 2019 but it seems you never got it.

Many thanks for your response. The strange gaps that appear in my MPPT data in VRM between 2nd and 9th May is explained by my deliberate effort to allow the batteries to fully charge from bulk to absorption to float. I usually disconnected the VE.Direct BlueSolar MPPT Solar Charge Controller 150/45 v1.37 from the Color Control GX v2.23 whenever battery charging was stuck at absorption and when I did that, the charging advanced from absorption to float with MPPT charge controller as a stand-alone. This is the reason why the MPPT data is dropping out. In other words, when my system (comprising of BlueSolar MPPT Solar Charge Controller 150/45 v1.37, 4 x 12V AGM 205Ah @ 20Hr Trojan Solar batteries, Color Control GX v2.23, MultiPlus 48/1200/12-16 230V VE.Bus v433 and BMV-721 Smart Monitor v4.01) is connected to the CCGX, the batteries are only charged from bulk to absorption, never reaching float, but when I disconnect the MPPT from CCGX, the charging is smooth from bulk, absorption to float.

Secondly, I have not connected my system to the internet as yet and that is why there hasn't been an update to my VRM for 14 days. I simply uploaded the vrmlogger-backlog data file from CCGX to the VRM Portal manually the first time and updated the data file today.

Lastly, regarding working with a local technician with Victron training, there is none unless you know of one that you would like to recommend.

2 |3000