question

the-salmon avatar image
the-salmon asked

Multiplus II GX wiring to generator (AC-in)

Hello,

In the MultiPlus II GX manual it is written to follow the instructions below when connecting the AC input:

Left to right: N (neutral), PE (earth/ground), L (phase)

In my setup I have a 3kW inverter generator as AC in, but I cannot understand which is the neutral and which is the phase as the output of my generator is a female plug, on which the plug can be inverted from time to time.

Which is the proper connection in this case?

Thanks a lot

Multiplus-IIGeneratorac coupling
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
eiremos avatar image
eiremos answered ·

Hello ,

Is it true that in mono , between phase and neutral there is +-230v (in Belgium) ,

between phase and ground the same and between neutral and ground there is 0v .

So with a voltmeter you could test and then and wire your cables .

Isn't it correct ?

Thank-you

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

the-salmon avatar image the-salmon commented ·

Hello,

following you suggestions I did the measurements. When the AC OUT is coming from MP II (solar or batteries) it is true what you said: 230V from phase and neutral, 0V from neutral and ground.

When the output is coming from my Generator/Inverter (GENMAC GR3000iN) I found:

- 230V from phase and neutral

- about 130V from phase and ground

- about 130V from neutral and ground

I'm a bit confused now, but as far I noticed the MP II is able to charge the batteries; moreover the home loads (bulbs, battery chargers, ...) are working fine as well.

The only doubt still remaining is if the differential switch is working correctly when the generator is supplying power to AC OUT. In case the output is coming from MP II it works fine.

0 Likes 0 ·
blackstar avatar image blackstar the-salmon commented ·
I'm not sure about a generator giving such condition, but it is common in some regions to have that kind of power from distribution company (IT system). There is no neutral (at least distributed) and two phases. In a three phases distribution you get only the three phases with no neutral. I have such condition from company and I understood I have to disable in MP configuration the grounding relay.

Hope you get more information from someone that knows better that condition using a generator.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

best to resurch the plug type on the generator for the country you are in or the country the generator is from and go by that standard.

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @the_salmon

The inverter will work both ways, but anything on the output will have phase and neutral swapped also, so that can be problematic (depening on local rules and how the system is setup)

Best is to use a polarized plug, like a (commonly called) 'CEE' plug:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60309#/media/File:CEE_16A_230V_Wandsteckdose_Pinning.png

2 |3000

jjbond avatar image
jjbond answered ·

It would help us help you if you were to at least include the brand and model of your generator so we can research what plugs it has on it as you haven't provided that information. Ya have to help us a bit, toss us a bone, make a bit of effort, it goes a long way.

Knowing absolutely nothing about your genset, I'll toss this out there, maybe it will help.

1691099202107.png

Jen

1691099202107.png (154.3 KiB)
2 |3000

mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Hire a certified electrician.

2 |3000