question

Will avatar image
Will asked

CCGX - Temperature sensing yet?

I found the following from a while ago and wonder if Temp sensing for the CCGX has happened yet?

Q6: Can I use Smart Battery Sense in systems already controlled by a GX device (eg CCGX/VenusGX)?

No. The GX device already has voltage sensing (soon they will have temperature sensing too). Adding Smart Battery Sense to the installation will confuse the voltage-sensing data. For further information please see: CCGX/Distributed Voltage and Current Control.

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
joewolf1 avatar image
joewolf1 answered ·

I think its really one of the biggest issues in Victron products. The way forward seems to be the "smart" range but the smart battery unit doesn't talk to GX. So my issue has always been that as we get to have more of these sites a "Victron" solution that includes full battery sensing including temperature is my need.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Will avatar image Will commented ·

Well I agree pretty much. But my question is specifically to what Victron said a while ago that "soon" the CCGX will have temperature sensing. I wish to know if purchasing now, will the CCGX now come with temperature sensing? The problem may be the definition of "soon". For some that may mean weeks, others, months.

The other question is what exactly does Victron mean by "soon they will have temperature sensing? Now you can hard wire connect the CCGX to a BMV-712 with temperature sensor and the CCGX will use that temp I think?

Maybe someone can explain exactly how temp sensing will be implemented with the CCGX and when that will happen?

0 Likes 0 ·
Will avatar image
Will answered ·

Somehow this one came back to the front pagea couple of days ago even with no additional information. Interesting since it has been another 4 months since I asked about it and many months longer than that since Victron said"The GX device already has voltage sensing (soon they will have temperature sensing too)". As far as I can tell there have been no updates to the GX devices in that time, specifically the CCGX and temperature sensing. I guess the definition of "soon" is open to wide interpretation.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Will

In the latest (2.4x) firmware for GX devices, you can choose what temperature sensor to use for DVCC (STS - Shared Temperature Sense)

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/12/11/venus-os-v2-40-nmea2000-out-solar-irradiance-and-more/

0 Likes 0 ·
dvcc-119913291.png (117.9 KiB)
kev avatar image
kev answered ·

screenshot-20220323-153053.jpg

I've added a Smart BT battery sensor and the Smart MPPT CC is reading it but that temp info is not being relayed to the CCGX. If I hardwire a temp sensor to the SmartShunt, it seems that info will be relayed to the CCGX. It seems daft to me that the MPPT temp info is not being relayed. Obviously the system can support such a feature.

2 |3000