question

julian avatar image
julian asked

CCGX/Multi not taking into account solar input (sometimes)

Hello,

I have my system running scheduled charging (from grid) starting 8:00am until 10:30am.

I have seen periods where there is more than enough solar availability but it's not being inverted for charging and/or covering consumption:

as seen directly in the console:

and also as seen directly from the sky:

but after a while it goes back to normality and solar becomes main input

can anyone help to understand the reason this happens? It's very usual and I don't know how to limit it.

Thanks in advance.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery chargingESSCCGX Color Controlsolar
solar-yield.png (24.4 KiB)
console.png (36.3 KiB)
roof-view.png (119.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Julian, sorry for the slow response; I suppose no one here knows whats going on.

was the issue resolved? Do make sure to run the recent Venus OS version, currently v2.42. Iirc, there have been a few fixes to scheduled charging.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Ps. See change log on https://professional.victronenergy.comfor details

0 Likes 0 ·
julian avatar image julian mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi,

I think it's happening again, just now we are having a sunny morning. It's 9:38am yet but I guess we should get some PV energy there, at least for covering AC Loads?

Venus was updated to latest version, multi isn't, yet with 2620(460)

Happy Christmas and thanks four your answer.

0 Likes 0 ·
ccgx-status-1.png (32.3 KiB)
the-morning.png (71.0 KiB)
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Julian. I think your chargers are just competing with each other. The one that reaches (it's own) Absorb setting first will back off, and if the other has a slightly higher setting(s), will continue and push the other off.

Try resetting your grid charger settings lower than the solar ones, even the grid one to a flat 'Float' V setting, again lower than the Float on the solar cc. The solar will then take priority. Having 2x chargers attempting an Abs cycle each day may not be great practice either

Maybe you have good reason, but seems strange to have grid top-up at sunrise, when good pv charge is imminent. I do mine at dusk (when necessary) after the solar has had it's chance over the course of the day.

Compliments of the Season to you too. And may 2020 never see another of your questions 'missed'.

6 comments
2 |3000

julian avatar image julian commented ·

Hi @JohnC, firstly thanks for your answer, no need to compliments as we are all here to help when we can, not always anyone have all the knowledge :-)

Thing is that, theorically, there is only one 'Float V' setting, located at multi, as my SolarCharger is remotely managed from there. So the value you put in multi flash settings are those being used also by the SC. Isn't it? Might be I'm wrong through...

Happy Christmas!!

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ julian commented ·

@ Julian. No, they're not the same values. If your system is simple (as most are), they will remain independent in their charge targets. And as they approach those charge targets one will almost invariably come to dominate the other. They aren't synchronized in any way related to charge V. Just by the V they see.

A possible *suggestion*. Via VEConfigure, if you changed your charge targets in the Multi to (say) 54V for both Absorb and Float, once that is met the grid charge would back off, and the solar cc take over and attempt to follow it's own profile. Try it, can't hurt anything..

Depends on your needs and what you want your grid charge to achieve.

Maybe a language thing, but my 'Compliments of the Season' means 'Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year'.

0 Likes 0 ·
julian avatar image julian JohnC ♦ commented ·

Hi @JohnC, thanks, in fact was a language thing (at my side) :-)

Yes I will change via VEConfigure the values, but yet in order to allow myself understand it. Look at this graph where you see the max V scheduled charging kept in absortion mode for the length defined in VEConfigure (7 hours in my case). The first "V" in the scale (where the Voltage drops to about 51v) is around 10:30 in the morning, that is when scheduled charging is finishing. After that point solar charger starts working.

Solar energy is available before that time, not only to charge together with the grid, also to cover AC loads that are in fact being consumed directly from the grid. I don't see this as a "manual" setting for me to select the proper abs+float/charged value, but the system to detect there is solar energy available for us.

May be I'm missing something here, of course..?

0 Likes 0 ·
votage-tracking.png (16.7 KiB)
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ julian commented ·

Spare a thought for the internal decision making within your 'system'. You've told it to use two charging sources concurrently, and have specified the charging parameters for each source. So it's complying with what it thinks you want.

What I do also see from your last chart, is that you're spending a lot of time in Absorb phase. Depending on your batteries, maybe way too much.. It seems to drop back to Float phase at ~1600, long after the charge current has largely flattened off.

I let a Victron 'adaptive' algorithm determine Abs for my pb's, and usually results in 2-3 hours spent there.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @JohnC thanks for your comments again!

Based on your comments looks like you are using this adaptive charge way. Didn't know about this adaptive absortion length and I will give it a change to test. I guess there is some kind of option there in VEConfig to set it.

But yet.. might be we should add a [feature request] at the subject in order to be able to (if possible, might be it's not?) use both chargers energy prioritizing of course solar over the grid.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @JohnC finally I upgraded my multi from 460 to 465. Also activated DVCC at CCGX. Things look better...

- Firstly, grid usage is gradually dropped to zero:

- Secondly voltage doesn't drop at grid-solar transition:

I'm happy.

:-)

0 Likes 0 ·
grid-usage.png (82.6 KiB)
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Julian

are you using DVCC? if so you could try without to see the changes.

Your battery voltage doesn't look healthy, or is it a very small battery? if not a very small battery: maybe it's time to replace it, and very carefully check the charging / discharging voltages with the manufacturers recommendations.

3 comments
2 |3000

julian avatar image julian commented ·

Hi @Daniël thanks for your comments. No, I'm not using DVCC. Yes, I know batteries are not in their best state, also charging / discharging voltages are within the manufacturer parameters.

2 serial banks of 4 220Ah / 12v batteries conected in paralel having then a 440Ah / 48v system. About 4-5 years old.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ julian commented ·

Hi @Julian

if not using DVCC: make sure your MPPT's are set to a fixed absorption time, and on a higher absorption voltage than the Multi.

if all this doesn't help: have an installer check your wiring and settings.

0 Likes 0 ·
julian avatar image julian Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Daniël thanks for your directions. Yes I'll check with my installer in order to solve the issues.

Please, could you help me with this VEConfig question, if you thing it should be solved privately my mail is jhernanz (at) gmail. I need to change this to Spain instead of Italy

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes 0 ·
grid-password.png (76.4 KiB)