question

Paul avatar image
Paul asked

VE. Bus BMS with Skylla ip44 via Venus GX

If I connect a VE. Bus BMS (connected to Victron Smart LiFePO4) and a Skylla IP44 to a Venus GX, will the BMS be able to control (disconnect/connect) the charger without additional devices (remote disconnect)? Or, must I use the BMS charge disconnect output?

battery chargingLithium BatteryBMSVenus GX - VGXSkylla
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

s-v-simbora avatar image s-v-simbora commented ·

Hi, Paul.

I have exactly the same components and would also like to know if it is possible. Please let me know if it works for you - I have not installed mine yet as I am still researching the possibilities.

How will you connect the VE.Bus BMS to the Venus GX? Is it possible to use the Multiplus/Quattro connection for this? The manuals are not very clear on this.

I chose the Skylla-IP44 charger for its variable voltage input. This way I can plug my boat into shore power anywhere in the world. On the charging side I also have solar panels and alternators that need to be controlled.

Philip

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @SeekingSanity

Yes this should work (as always test these functions)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

s-v-simbora avatar image
s-v-simbora answered ·

Hi, Daniel.

You say to test these functions. How do you actually test them? You have to mimic an over-voltage to make sure the BMS shuts off the Skylla but how do you do this in practice?

Philip

2 |3000

s-v-simbora avatar image
s-v-simbora answered ·

Paul,

I just went through the whole process and found that you HAVE to control the IP44 with the "charge disconnect" of the BMS - there's no other way to disconnect the IP44.

The Venus GX will not control the IP44.

Philip

2 |3000

Related Resources