question

paul-holtslag avatar image
paul-holtslag asked

Phoenix inverter 24/1200 alternating blinking red/green lights

20191206_125453.mp4Upon suggestion of Daniel (https://community.victronenergy.com/users/3218/danvic.html) here a summary of my issue.

Phoenix inverter 24/1200 230V VE.Direct IEC running at 230V 60Hz.

I took it from Holland to Philippines for my solar installation and it ran OK for 2 weeks. I used it mainly to run a washing machine (inverter unit, NO HEATING, max power 750W, as it is an inverter unit, it does not have starting surges) and some small workshop tools. It worked without any problems. I did not have an internet connection at the time, so it ran on the software version as purchased. At nigh, the unit is switched off. The previous unit was a 1000W unit and it ran under similar conditions without problems for 3 years until I got hit by a huge lightning strike and all my electronics blew up.

Then I got an internet connection and the unit started updating. No problem.

But the next day, the unit did not want to startup, the red/green lights are blinking alternately in 0.5 seconds tact. Maybe nothing to do with the software update, maybe just a co-incidence?

The tool on the 250VA inverter says: "No Calibration, return to Victron service for repair". which is a bit difficult as it was brought into the country "handcarry" and sending it back is a huge issue with the customs here..

Note: The batteries are new (24V 200Ah), there is no load connected during startup, with load connected, it does not help. Disconnecting the battery/reconnecting did not change the situation.

Any suggestions to get this unit back online?

Greetings from our warm island.

Paul

Screenshot_20191206-124846.jpgScreenshot_20191206-125217.jpg20191206_125329.jpgScreenshot_20191206-130230.jpg.

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Paul Holtslag

Your 'charge detection' voltage is set to 28 volts, this means it will only restart if the battery reaches 28 volt. set this to a lower voltage (25? 26?) and it will restart when the battery reaches that voltage.

(Yes, I've had this happen to me once also...)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paul-holtslag avatar image
paul-holtslag answered ·

https://community.victronenergy.com/users/3218/danvic.html, Tried that because that 28V seemed a bit strange to me. When it did not work, I selected "factory settings" and it went back to 28V. So, now I changed it to 25V, isolated and re-connected the inverter, added "load".. it still did not work.

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Paul Holtslag

Stupid question, but I'll write it anyway ;)

'did you try turning it off and on again?'

Did you try it on 'normal' instead of search mode?

if this all doesn't help, I don't know what to try next, sorry, best to contact your dealer and let them try / replace if broken.

0 Likes 0 ·
paul-holtslag avatar image paul-holtslag Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hai https://community.victronenergy.com/users/3218/danvic.html

Daniël.
When I got the opportunity to connect the machine to the internet, it started to download an update and guess what: it now works again properly.
Conclusion: My initial hunch that the previous software update went wrong was correct. 2 options therefore:
1. The software update contained an error.
2. The initial update corrupted the software.

The system for support is not satisfactory.
1. I think every owner of equipment should be able to register his unit and get emails when a software update is available with the comments what has been changed so he/she can decide if we want to upload the update.
2. Software updates should be an option, it should be possible to prevent updates.
3. The tool is not complete/correct. My machine was not available and the error code is not mentioned.

Victron machines are not only used in Dutch environment where service is widely available. Customers like me go for Victron because of quality/reliability and we cannot afford to have the equipment stuck for a silly software bug. As an ex-IT man, I know that software always has bugs, but for critical applications, there must always be a fallback position in case it goes wrong. Like an option to go back to the previous version.

Happy that the inverter works again, but unless there is a safety software update, i now prevent any further update so I won't get stuck again.

I hope you consider the suggestions to make the system more reliable.

regards,
Paul

0 Likes 0 ·
apzie avatar image
apzie answered ·

Hi All.

I am have the exact same issue. Tried changing all the settings under the sun and no joy. I have a Solar MPPT 75/15 and Orion-trsmart 12-24 15 amp D.C. to dc charger (the brand new ones) has anyone had any joy with this issue?

2 |3000

zerovanplan avatar image
zerovanplan answered ·

Hi paul, glad you got it working. I have the same issue. Mine updates via an andriod app over bluetooth. I cant see a way of forcing another update or rolling back. The software version is v1.17 that seems to be causing the issues.

Did you force an update or was one just available? Cheers baz

2 comments
2 |3000

erich avatar image erich commented ·

I have same firmware and same problem. Is there a wayout of this mess?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ erich commented ·

There is a new firmware 1.20 available via Victron Professional. This firmware solves the problem. It will come officialy with the next VictronConnect update in a few weeks.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Matthijs Vader:
"Its solved in v1.20 - available for now only on Victron Professional. So download it there, and then follow the manual update procedure as explained in the VictronConnect manual.

Approx. week from now we’ll release a new VictronConnect in which it will be included - then there is no more need for manually looking for the file and such."

2 |3000

erich avatar image
erich answered ·

Dear all,

My customer has an 12V350W phoenix inverter which is no more operating and the green and red Led are blinking alternately in about 1 sec. sequence. There is no fault nothing abnormal reported on the VictronConnect. but no output voltage :-(

The root cause of the problem is the Firmware Ver 1.17. This Firmware was updated automatically via Bluetooth via the customer's mobile phone???

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) sent the Firmware V1.20, the update worked without any trouble via. VictronConnect and VE.Direct USB-interface.

Now the inverter is well again.

Thanks a lot
Erich

2 |3000