question

skogs avatar image
skogs asked

Programming Multiplus, Rec BMS and generator

I am building av complete off-grid installation, using EV-batteries, solar panels, gas generator and a REC Q BMS for battery management.

Im thinking of combining this with a Multiplus 2 48/5000 VE.Bus and a SmartSolar VE.Can.

Will this be compatible? What else would i need in order to program it correctly? I am an automation engineer, but haven't worked with CanBus in a very long time. Is this a fairly intuitive system, or will i be scratching my head for weeks trying to figure it out?

Multiplus-IIBMSoffgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @skogs

REC bms: ask the BMS manufacturer for this, Victron doesn't support such systems, but it should work just fine.

Make sure you have multiple layers of safety when using EV batteries! (CANbus communication, contactors or shunt-trip, safe settings, etc)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

billk avatar image
billk answered ·

I have just finished putting together that system with Quattro 48/5000s in parallel, 6.3kW in panels and two Nissan Leaf batteries. A valuable source of information for me came from an unlikely source. The gentleman and his family have chronicled their restoration of a vintage GM bus that includes a very similar system to what you are describing in one of the luggage bays. Juan is a great guy and unselfish source of information and encouragement. His system has been up for close to two years now and the REC BMS is keeping his Nissan Leaf battery cell voltages within a few thousandths of a volt of each other.

He's helped out a number of people, here is a link to the beginning of his solar system odyssey.

http://www.beginningfromthismorning.com/house-batteries-part-1/

Juan is also a programmer so the two of you should find a lot of common ground.

2 |3000