question

samin8r avatar image
samin8r asked

MPPT's 150/70 Showing bulk output but no watts being delivered

Mppt' 150/70 showing bulk output but no watts being delivered? watts are showing up on the Colour GX? I have 5 connected via a powered USB hub to the Colour GX and this has been working fine until I noticed today 1x of the MPPT's was producing its rated capacity and the remaining 4 were only showing 10 -15 W?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It's quite difficult to answer really. What can you tell us about your installation?
Are the MPPT's networked in an ESS system with a CCGX or are they all stand alone?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

samin8r avatar image
samin8r answered ·

Apologies. A little short on information. It is a DC coupled system running BYD batteries. Using the Blue solar 150/70 VE direct MPPT's. X5 managed through a CCGX. Not running any assistants and BYD BMS running the management. As in the description I have 5x mppt's running through a dc powered USB hub running through the CCGX. I have checked all arrays and have double checked Voltage at all points via a multimeter and voltage is present and ok.

I have a spare MPPT and swapped over one of the feeds and sure enough it fired up and produced rated capacity. Strange that 4x out of the 5x have decided to go on hiatus?

They are running on an older version firmware so that is todays job to update to latest.

I do have a large load that would of kicked in at the time of problem but this load is linear and hasn't been a problem in the past?

It is like the MPPT's have gone into a limp mode?

2 |3000

samin8r avatar image
samin8r answered ·

An update on this.the mppts reset themselves overnight.ran well for last few days. Turned on the air conditioning.

Dropped out the other 4 mppts and wont connect back to ccgx properly?

4 comments
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

If I am beginning to understand this correctly, I think you are experiencing a communication failure between the MPPT's and the CCGX thus causing , as you mentioned, the MPPT to go into "limp" mode. This is to prevent uncontrolled charging of your BYD.I remember one or two other people running into this sort of problem when having a number of USB devices on one USB hub.
Some of the USB hubs just seem to "give up" and then drop devices. I understand that you are using an "Industrial" USB hub, but I wonder what chipset that is.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Good one, try putting a non working one directly in the other usb port.

and: look into the CCGX what the status of the MPPT's is, communication errors might show up there, I'd expect an error message from the MPPT (no bms) but when it's not connected that would not show..

0 Likes 0 ·
samin8r avatar image samin8r boekel ♦ commented ·

Yeap. That's what I did and they all tested good. Have updated firmware on all MPPT'S and it hasn't missed a beat?

I agree that its a communications fault but there doesn't seem to be a reason for it?

0 Likes 0 ·