question

blond2silver avatar image
blond2silver asked

Multiplus enable "dynamic current limiter" setting and 50amp shore, will crash Multi - why is that?

Hello, For a Multiplus 12/3000 and 400ah lithium battery bank, and 1200 watts solar array, I was testing the AC input by simply making one VEconfigure change - by enabling the "dynamic current limiter" while connected to 50 amp shore power connection. I left the "input current limit" at 50 amps, UPS is enable, PowerAssist is enable, Weak AC is disabled.

With a typical load of around 450-400 watts AC, and about 120 watts DC, the system powers loads with no issue. However, when trying a significant load - example a microwave drawing 1800 watts, the Multplus 12/3000 crashes with over current and low battery. I'm wondering why would enable "dynamic current limiter" even matter when there is a 120vac, 50amp shore power available to just drive the loads?- meaning with the "dynamic current limiter" dis-abled, there is absolutely no issue. Should I be setting the "input current limit" to something less that 50amps - example: would setting the "input current limit" down 10% (45amps) is that makes any sense. I really would appreciate an explanation in that crashing the multiplus with load.

Yeah I should mention: Testing the "PowerAssist" functionality is spot on, and performs with my intentions and satisfaction. What I'm trying to accomplish is that I'd like to just enable "dynamic current limiter", even when plugged into 50amp shore, and dial back the "input current limit" when connected to a genset,

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @blond2silver

" over current and low battery "

this sounds like a battery not being able to supply the load. maybe with a BMS that disconnects?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ewalderasmus avatar image
ewalderasmus answered ·

Hi @blond2silver

I am thinking of trying out the dynamic limit hence why I stumbled across your post.

Some quick questions,

Were you able to solve this issue?

Did you ever try and test at a lower current limit? IE verifying that the inverter would power assist? As I had an issue doing this and would have the same issue you had (over current and low battery alarm) and had to adjust the Assist Current boost factor down. Was wondering if you had similar issues.

2 |3000