question

rickai avatar image
rickai asked

EM24/EM112 RCM Australia logo

G'day, does anyone know, in particularly Australians that whether EM24/EM112 need to have a RCM compliance logo on it in order to be installed? I was told that local regulators will defect the system if there's no compliance logo on the energy meter.

Many thanks in advance for anyone that could help answer.

Energy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

The Victron energy meters are not designed or intended to be used for billing purposes.

They are intended to provide behind the meter monitoring of import and export for the battery system.

I have never heard of an installation being defected for using our range of energy meters as they are intended in our systems.

Do you have any more information about the source of the claim, or the region/regulator that would defecting?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rickai avatar image rickai commented ·

Thanks Guy for the response. I initially thought of the same as well until a company that does Home Energy Management Systems told me that any electrical appliance imported into Australia regardless if it's for billing or not need to have that logo otherwise it will get defected as they have before. I've also enquired an electrician friend in Victoria which they also say the same thing.

I've contacted Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) since then and they've told me that the RCM logo is compulsory for all electrical equipment, including this energy meter. All electrical equipment need to show EMC compliance and CE logo is not good enough for EMC compliance in Australia.

Fronius and SMA also carry this logo on their products as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

Its been a while since I've looked at this, so I hope I'm not getting myself confused.

The RCM logo as I understand it is an indication that the supplier/importer of the marked product has gone through a process to self declare compliance to all relevant (Australian) standards. And if you're selling the imported kit, there is a legal requirement to only sell RCM marked kit.

An installer would then have a level of confidence that a RCM marked piece of kit has been assessed and found suitable for use in Australia (well.... at least by the importer, on paper)

If you're self importing and not onselling, you might be in a grey area where the RCM process doesn't apply (since you're not selling). The tricky part is now that the installer doesn't know whether the unmarked kit is compliant to Australian standards, and a licensed installer has an obligation to ensure AS3000 is followed. So the installer then has to do homework to ensure that the kit is compliant - or say its all too hard and you need RCM marked kit.

1 comment
2 |3000

rickai avatar image rickai commented ·

Thanks Kai, regardless if there's RCM or not, i believe proper certificates/test report needs to be available in order for the product to be truly compliant. I'm doing my homework now but i'm not getting anywhere at the moment.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources