question

jedi avatar image
jedi asked

Maximum amps through BMV 500amp shunt

The boat I have has 2 Volvo D4 260 engines. There are 4 batteries. 1 is dedicated for starting the Port engine and the other 3 are for starting the Starboard engine and supplying the 12v power to the boat, therefore the starting amps will be going through the shunt. I cannot find out how many amps starting takes. What is the maximum intermittant power I can put through the shunt?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
fairline avatar image
fairline answered ·

I wonder about the same thing, i have 2 x Volvo Penta TAMD 74P. The starter takes 3600 watt, that means 3600/12 volt = 300 amps. So i think starter on mye engine will be okay?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kai avatar image
kai answered ·

I don't believe the issue is what the shunt can take. The starting amps won't be there for long enough to really heat the shunt up.

The issue I think is with the electronics. It measures the voltage across the shunt. If you exceed the shunt rating, you also exceed the maximum voltage the BMV was expecting. I suspect at this point the BMV would clamp the voltage in some manner and you would effectively inject (small) errors into the BMV's calculations because the voltage-current relationship is no longer linear. I don't know how safe it is for the electronics either. The exact behaviour and impact only the Victron designers can tell you.

The fix (to my mind, others may have differing opinions) is to have a dedicated return for the starter so it bypasses the shunt.

You could also use a high current shunt (kilo amps are possible) but you lose resolution at the low end for smaller currents. Except in fringe cases I'd guess you lose more than you gain with a high current shunt.

1 comment
2 |3000

jedi avatar image jedi commented ·

There is a dedicated return from the engine, but the whole engine and not just the starter. This means that it needs to be included to register the current charging the batteries. I have gone ahead with the 500amp shunt and so far seems ok

0 Likes 0 ·