question

jreb avatar image
jreb asked

Multiplus 48 5000 70 setup with gennie and noisy unstable inverter

Hi Look for help from some experts

I have installed an off grid system with multiplus inverter , smart solar charger , Venus controller with 5 Kva avr backup generator with 10kva lithium batteries. All lights etc low voltage.

The gennie is a 5kva AVR 240 v autostart connected to the venus for remote start stop

The system has been running fine on solar all summer. Finally connected the generator to auto run as winter is approaching, with less sunlight and build nearly completed

I have a few issues that are beyond my knowledge.

When the generator was first connected it wouldn’t run, so I read this forum and changed a few settings to get it to accept . It now charges etc.

The problems I have are.

1. When the generator is running, the dimmer lights flicker badly.

2. Range Cooker which is apparently voltage sensitive cuts out the oven when on genie

3. When running on genie the multiplus is very noisy, loud buzzing enough to keep you awake

4. Is it possible to get more charging power out of the genie so as not to waste the potential input.

5. when genie not in use there is sometimes some background noise but nothing as bad as when genie running.

battery chargingGeneratorNMEA 2000 - N2K
img-3687.jpeg (1.4 MiB)
img-3688.jpeg (1.2 MiB)
img-3689.jpeg (1.3 MiB)
img-3690.jpeg (1.3 MiB)
img-3691.jpeg (1.3 MiB)
img-3692.jpeg (1.3 MiB)
img-3693.jpeg (1.1 MiB)
img-3694.jpeg (1.2 MiB)
img-3695.jpeg (1.6 MiB)
img-3696.jpeg (861.6 KiB)
img-3698.jpeg (591.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Jreb. This is likely being caused by your genny. You've found it necessary to enable 'Weak ac' so the Multi can accept it, and it's just being passed through to your loads, some of which don't seem to like it either.

Under substantial batt charge, the Multi's charger has to deal with that too, whether it's distorted sine wave, harmonics, noise, whatever. And it's big toroids groaning in protest..

I'm actually surprised the Multi can accept that much input anyway, as 'Weak ac' will reduce it somewhat, so don't expect much there.

Perhaps get your genny tested if you can find a techie with a good 'scope'. May be eye-opening..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jreb avatar image
jreb answered ·

Iis there anything on the genie settings that might improve things, I seem to remember I adjusted 3 things at once with a broad brush to make it accept genie. The noise is only recent it has been running with the genie quietly for a while.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic