question

ben-langlands avatar image
ben-langlands asked

Victron Quattro not synching with pv or AC from generator to charge Aquion batteries.

Hello everyone, I am off grid with Aquion battery system powered by solar pv and Sunny Island inverter, and an 11KVA generator connected via a Victron 48v Quatro inverter charger rated to 8000w, with a CCGX Colour Control panel and a BMV700. Everything was working fine until the Quatro inverter suddenly stopped charging the batteries and the battery voltage dropped to 5-6 volts. Since when I have been unable to re-charge the batteries from the pv because the Sunny Island display indicates "Grid Failure" and as a result the Victron inverter can't or won't accept power from the solar pv (or my in-situ generator probably for the same reason). I brought in a Fork Lift Truck charger to do the job instead but it also appears not to recognise the grid so won't connect properly to supply any charge to the batteries either. I would be very grateful if someone or @guystewart could advise me on how to get enough voltage charged back into my batteries so that the Victron will pick up the power from the solar pv and the 11KVA generator to charge them up fully again. Thank you

battery chargingGeneratorSolar Panelvictron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Does the generator normally sync and charge?

Make sure that the Quattro has the generator connected on AC input one, that should allow it to start even with 0V DC.

Do you have a wiring diagram for your system? It isn’t common to have a Quattro and a Sunny Island in the same system.

Long term; I would strongly suggest getting some DC PV connected via an MPPT. Even the minimum required to get to your battery voltage. It is by far the most reliable way to maintain a battery, and will mean your system would self recover.

As a last resort, it is possible to connect panels directly to a battery without regulation, as long as you are there to constantly monitor voltage. That should kick start the system. Make sure the PV string voltage is as close as possible (but still higher) than the battery voltage. That is don’t just connect your ~400V sunny boy pv string, just a couple of panels for 60V string only.

And as is often the case, this would be best discussed with your local Victron dealer.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ben-langlands answered ·

Hi @guystewart, Thanks for your reply. I must correct myself slightly, I don't have a Sunny Island, I have a Sunny boy Grid inverter. “AC Coupled.” My Aquion batteries provide the “grid” so the grid inverter will supply the solar charging, but with the batteries depleted there is no grid, so no solar input.

The system has worked fine for 4 years until about 3 weeks ago, so it is not wrongly configured.

Somehow the CCGX stopped working and this led to the Victron Quattro running the system dry in my absence - which it is not supposed to do as there is a low voltage cut off point. I can power the CCGX from a 12v battery, but although it is lit up and showing the blue Victron Logo on the interface, it doesn't seem to be working or responding to me (pushing the buttons etc.) So I can't check it further or get the data off it? I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Here is a link to my VRM data

https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/5558/overview

2 |3000

ben-langlands answered ·

Hello @guystewart Although my system had been working very well for 4 years without a problem, my internet router failed in June and I was unable to re-establish a connection between the new replacement router and the CCGX. I had been using the VRM app to monitor the system in my occasional absence from the house. Although at the time it was not evident there was any problem with the battery charging after the old router failed, could it have caused a failure with the CCGX, and in turn caused the Quattro to stop the solar pv or the generator charging the batteries? and also to ignore the low voltage cut off protection…..as it seems that is where the charging stopped? I look forward to hearing what you think? Thank you.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual