question

zzzdgr avatar image
zzzdgr asked

Solar controller with 96v output?

Hello, I am putting a 96v EV motor on a sailboat. I need to run the motor at 96v. I will have 2kw of solar panels on the boat and would like to have the solar controller output 96v and not 24 or 48. Does anyone know how I could achieve this with Victron?

Thanks

Regards,

Dennis

Solar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Bruce A. avatar image
Bruce A. answered ·

Hi Dennis,
You haven't mentioned a battery. If you are not planning to use one, then do not use a solar charge controller (SCC), because as the name implies, an SCC is designed to control the charging of a battery, and it is very unlikely to do a good job of running a motor directly.
Please clarify whether you intend to use a 96V battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

zzzdgr avatar image zzzdgr commented ·

Hi Bruce. Thanks for your reply. I will be using a battery. Details above in my comment.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Victron does not make a 96V charger.

You could achieve a similar result with 2 charge controllers each set to 48V, their own PV array, and connected to half the battery bank each (48V).

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi guy. I am back to find a solution for reliability since the 96v make sky blue one has crapped out.

I can understand splitting the pack, but how then to wire the two in series to boost back up to 96v. I also do believe this will cause some issues with the dilithium BMS from Thunderstruck ev.

Would love to find a solution.

0 Likes 0 ·
zzzdgr avatar image
zzzdgr answered ·

Hello. The battery will be made up of prismatic lifepo4 3.2v 200ah. I will put 2p 30s to achieve the 96v. I will use a thunderstruck bms https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/bms/

I will have a 96v to 220 inverter and...

96v to 24v dc to dc converter.

2 |3000

janik avatar image
janik answered ·

Did you find a solution? I want to charge the 96V battery of my electric car

2 comments
2 |3000

Hello. Not yet but I a back on it. I need to find a reliable charging solution for the boat. Did you come up with anything possible from victron?
1 Like 1 ·
saftkatten avatar image saftkatten zzzdgr commented ·
Hi! I am in a similar situation (28s1p, 280ah cells, DIYbms) and looking for a 96V charger (I'll ony be charging my cells to 3,45V so max voltage that the charger needs to get up to is 96,6V). Interested if you found any solutions. I'll let you know here if I find anything.

Thanx!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic