question

mario-v avatar image
mario-v asked

How can I use the AC out 2 for input for charging the batteries?

I am running an off grid installation with the old Multiplus (so not the II). I have a nice battery bank and a charge controller. Everything works fine.

Now I want to install an (micro) inverter to my AC offgrid. What should I do? I have heard I can use the AC out 2 as input and configure the multiplus so that it uses the overcapacity to charge the batteries?

Could I also just connect the inverter to the AC off Grid and will the overcapacity by the multiplus be used to charge the battery? How will that work?

Thanks a lot in advance.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery chargingoffgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Mario_v,

Many of the answers to your questions are answered here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start

You can install the Micro on AC1-out or AC2-out. Though most modern AC PV inverter units should be compatible, we can't say for sure that all will work as expected.

If you keep it on AC1, you will just need the PV inverter assistant.

If you want to go with AC2, you will need to override the normal behaviour of the AC2-Out with another programmable relay assistant.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:overview_of_available_assistants

If you have any further questions that are not answered after reading those manuals, please follow up again.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mario-v avatar image
mario-v answered ·

Thanks @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager). I have read through it and I think it is all clear to me. I will get the microinverters after the fusebox which is connected to AC1-out and indeed I will install the PV Inverter assistant.

Do you know how compatible APS microinverters are with Victron Multiplus? I think any inverter should work I believe.

2 |3000