question

jkeller1ca avatar image
jkeller1ca asked

Lorawan Gateways for VE.Direct Module?

Trying to monitor my SmartSolar installation using a VE.Direct module.

I tried to get things to work with the The Things Network Gateway, and while I see the JOIN REQUEST messages from the VE.Direct, and the gateway responds with multiple JOIN ACCEPT messages, the unit doesn't seem to send anything else. The VE.Direct doesn't show up in the VRM, for example, even after a few days. (Note this is the old gateway, not the newer Indoor/Outdoor variants)

SHOULD the VE.Direct module work with the Things Network Gateway? If not, is there a list of known good compatible gateways for the US that work with the Victron Energy VE.Direct LoRaWAN module? I saw the LorixOne listed in the VE.Direct documentation, but it seems tough to get in the US.

Thanks!

P.S. For reference, I'm hooked up to a SmartSolar MPPT 75/10 Solar Charge Controller and I've kept the firmware up-to-date.

VE.Directsmart solar set-up helpLoRaWAN
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
sparka avatar image
sparka answered ·

Hi jkeller1ca

Its not your setup! it's been like this for at least 24H it is a problem with the relay from TTN to VRM I'm having the same problem you are describing and its not the first time I have seen this, it will at some point come back online and start working.

Can I ask what part of the world you're from?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jkeller1ca avatar image jkeller1ca commented ·

My station is in southern Oregon in the United States. Search for "applegate_lorawan". I'll keep my eyes open!

0 Likes 0 ·
Lasse avatar image
Lasse answered ·

Hi @jkeller1ca,

We have not tested the VE.Direct LoRaWAN module with the old version of the TTN gateway. I do not know if it will work in the US on the 915Mhz frequency.

We know from other users in the community that the newer indoor gateway works: https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/gateways/thethingsindoor/

We recommend the Lorix One gateway: https://www.lorixone.io/en which is used for development and testing or the Lorank 8 from Ideetron https://webshop.ideetron.nl/LORANK-8

@sparka We are not aware of any outage between the log transmitter and the VRM portal. It could be that your device does not receive all the messages due to poor reception.

BR, Lasse

2 |3000

sparka avatar image
sparka answered ·

Any luck? traffic from TTN to the VRM if flowing today reboot all your devices an try again,

2 |3000

sparka avatar image
sparka answered ·

@jkeller1ca · You back online ?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE.Direct protocol FAQ