question

camperconversion avatar image
camperconversion asked

MultiPlus Not Showing Live On CCGX

Good morning chaps,

I am just after a bit of help/advise. I have just finished installing a Victron Multiplus in a motorhome conversion. It is installed alongside a 70a MPPT solar controller and all are wired to a CCGX. I recently upgraded the firmware in the CCGX as the multiplus and ccgx were previously in a household setup and they have been stored over a year since I purchased them used.

The MPPT shows in the CCGX via the VE Direct cable and that shows fine, showing the solar input, battery voltage etc.

The issue is that the CCGX does not show when the Multiplus is turned on, it shows a symbol for a Multiplus but it always shows off, even when the inverter is on and powering appliances. The Multiplus is connected using one of the blue bus cables to the VE BUS input on the back of the CCGX and I have tried it plugged in to both connectors in the Multiplus but nothing shows up as working. The Multiplus also and has a temp sensor that is connected from the Sensor connection in the Multiplus to the negative terminal of my battery bank (this all came as a used setup kit other than the mppt).

Should it be a case of just plugging in the blue network cable in both the Multiplus and CCGX and it should all display as connected and working? I presume I am correct with the temp to the negative?

The setup and install is pretty much complete, I just want the Multiplus to show on the CCGX as everything is getting boxed in very soon so wouldn't want to have to rip everything out to change a cable etc....

Attached is a pic of the CCGX, I can take more pics of the back and cabling if required.

Can anyone help out here with some info or advise to get the Multiplus showing on the CCGX?

CCGX Color ControlwiringVE.Bus
img-9868.jpg (575.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
camperconversion answered ·

I've just thought, do I need to upgrade the Multi firmware for it to show on the CCGX as the ccgx firmware has recently been upgraded and the ccgx can see a multi is connected (as seen in the photo above), but never shows it as powered on?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@camperconversion, just for the record, you do not need terminators on a VE.Bus system (such as the CCGX-Multi network). Terminators are necessary only for VE.Can networks.

That being said: are you certain that you have the network cable from the Multi plugged into one of the VE.Bus ports in the back of the CCGX rather than one of the VE.Can ports? I ask because they're the same type of connector but serve very different purposes. The Multi needs to be connected to one of the VE.Bus connectors on the upper right side of the CCGX, NOT the VE.Can connectors at the top center of the CCGX. This is a relatively common error to make, so I'd check that first.

After you've checked that you're plugged into the correct ports on the CCGX, try restarting the CCGX (Menu>Settings>General>Reboot?) and see if the CCGX picks up the Multi now. On occasion you may have to restart the CCGX more than once.

2 |3000

camperconversion answered ·

HI, thanks for the reply. Yes the cable is plugged in the Bus connection as per the CCGX wiring diagram available online. Does it matter which connection is used inside the multi as it looks like it has 2x network out connections inside the multi (although I've plugged it in both with no change)?

The CCGX has been powered up & down multiple times as I'm in the process of fitting 12v in a campervan and all is fed from a fuse box which is switched on / off while doing work on the system.

The CCGX has been upgraded but not the Multi, does the Multi need upgrading to be compatible with the latest CCGX firmware? If this is the case, does this mean having to fork out over £60 on a MK3 usb interface, which seems extreme overkill just to apply a one-time firmware update for it to then be sat unused?

2 |3000

blond2silver avatar image
blond2silver answered ·

Hello, You're going to want a MK3 device, unless you're not technically inclined - for example, to make firmware changes to the Multiplus. Albeit, the Victron VRM site now has a remote VE Configure, but sometime, the changes to the Multiplus might require the Multi to turn off/turn on to effect parameter changes. Anyways, this is an aside to getting the Multiplus connected, and communicating with the CCGX gateway.

Here's what I would do to further troubleshoot.

1.) Try a different ethernet cable - or try the existing ethernet cable with another device or computer appliance to be sure the cable is the correct type, and that it is reliable.

2.) Ensure that the VE.Can bus is terminated - there should be termination plugs that came with the CCGX.

3.) Plug the ethernet cable into the Multiplus's ethernet connector on left or nearest to the outside frame. If that doesn't connect, try the other connection.

The CCGX should be the first device to boot up, and initialize before the Multiplus at least from a troubleshooting perspective.

2 |3000

mirko-iog avatar image
mirko-iog answered ·

@camperconversion - Did you solve the issue?

We have the same issue. The system is running, but the graphics are wrong on CCGX display as the MP is not recognized. E.g. in CCGX the Multiplus is always showing the "off" state.

We tried to solve the issue as follows:

- updated all firmwares today (CCGX: v2.40 and MultiPlus: 459)

- Checked the Ethernet cable > works well on other devices

- VE.Can is terminated on CCGX

- VE.Bus is used on CCGX

- CCGX was rebooted several times

Access to each device is possible through VictronConnect:

- CCGX via WiFi

- MultiPlus via VE.Bus + MK3-USB-interface

In VRM I can see the following devices in my installation:

- Gateway -> Product = CCGX

- VE.Bus System -> Product = MultiPlus

- (...)

2 |3000

fungi avatar image
fungi answered ·

I have the same issue. Multplus 24/3000/75 appears to be working normally and can be accessed with VE direct on a laptop

The unit is connected to a CCGX via an ethernet cable. The ccgx shows the multiplus as "off"

Redetecting system hangs forever

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Fungi

Did you disconnect the MK3 -usb device from the Multi? if it is connected, the GX device cannot see the multi.

0 Likes 0 ·
brians avatar image
brians answered ·

I'm having this problem as well. I can connect to the MP via MK3 and a laptop, but the CCGX refuses to see it. I've had this happen a couple times and then it just started working after several reboots. I've flashed it with the most recent image, I've upgrade the MP, I've rebooted and power cycled both the MP and the CCGX numerous times.

2 |3000