question

permyra avatar image
permyra asked

Help to set root password on Venus GX

Hi,

I'm used to work with Venus on RPi, but now I have got a Venus GX and I can't figure out how to set a password for the root aacount so that I can access the GX over SSH/ SFTP to install a SSH key.

According to the guide here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:root_access#create_a_root_password it should be possible to set in the remote console but I¨m not able to find the menu Settings → General → Set root password.

I have tried to connect a USB keyboard to the GX, but it seems that the keyboard doesn't work on the GX.

I have updated the firmware to v2.40~35.

Can anyone guide me how to set the root passwordor maybe a Victron Tech can set it for me?

Portal ID: 3403de793993

Venus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @PerMyra,

Did you follow step 1 and enable superuser access first?

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:root_access#set_access_level_to_superuser

Or were you unable because you couldn't get a direct USB keyboard to work?

Instead try to log into the Remote Console via

http://venus.local or VictronConnect on a network connected computer

OR

the remote console in the VRM site

and use the remote console and the keyboard on the computer to press and hold the right arrow to enable the superuser mode.

alt text

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

permyra avatar image permyra commented ·

Thanks Guy, I was able to set the root password now. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
ryanb avatar image ryanb commented ·

If the root password has not been configured as per the above instructions, can one safely assume that there is no default root password on the Gx device by which one could gain access? Just a safety concern..

0 Likes 0 ·

Root access will be denied if you do not set a password.

1 Like 1 ·
luigidriver avatar image luigidriver commented ·

Hi, I am just struggling with similar problem. I have a RPi 4 with 2 GB, installed the 2.40 VRM image and I am able to access the superuser-level in the remote-control-app.

I have set my root password, and the system confirms that the root-password was changed. So good.

Then I try to logon via Putty from Win10-PC to access the RPi4 via SSH. I used the user "pi" and tried it with the changed and confirmed password, but system tells me "access denied". So the change/set of the password via remote-app does not help me here.
I also tried it with user "pi" and standard password "raspberry" or with "ZZZ", but always get the same "access denied"-message.

Could it be that i use the wrong username or which initial password should I use ?

Sorry for this maybe dumb question, but I am rather new with all of this raspberry-stuff

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ luigidriver commented ·

Please re-read the instructions linked in the first answer. The user is root not pi

0 Likes 0 ·
luigidriver avatar image luigidriver luigidriver commented ·

It was realy a dumb question. Because I did not see the difference between raspberry Pi4 and the VRM-image I always tried to work with the default-RPi-user "pi" and that is wrong.
Now I tried with user"root" and the password which I have just changed in the remote-app for the superuser and now I can access
Sorry for the disturbance

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ luigidriver commented ·

Everyone is once a beginner and we are all here learning. Please don't feel ashamed to ask questions, 100's of people read these questions for every 1 person that asks them.

Please read the instructions carefully though. You now bypassing the normal safety restrictions that are there and can do damage to your system.

0 Likes 0 ·
flx avatar image
flx answered ·

May I add that it seems the password needs to contain at least one numeric character.

2 |3000

Juha Tuomala avatar image
Juha Tuomala answered ·

So, I have VRM site password, forum password, GX password, ssh root's password and I already forgot what.

So, I try to change some setting from GX GUI and it asks root's password, response is 'invalid password'.

But I can ssh into system using root's password. That same password doesn't work on GX GUI, even it's called root password there too.

Are they the same or two different passwords?

Juha

1 comment
2 |3000

josmeijer avatar image josmeijer commented ·
If you forgot the GX password, you can simply enter another one in the venus devices terminal.
0 Likes 0 ·
josmeijer avatar image
josmeijer answered ·

Just to save some of you the trouble: I was struggling to get in via SSH and it finally turned out that the password I used was one character short. I never saw it on my notebook or in the ColorControl screen, but on my desktop I suddently saw a popup flashing by: "pasword length minimal 6 characters"

So I made a password according to this rule (instead of the 5-character password I tried) and got in with no effort.

Hint for the programmers: pop-ups are of no use if the timer is set so short that you don't have time to see nor read them.

2 |3000