question

Matthias avatar image
Matthias asked

Two Quattros and Bluesolar MPPT controller options?

I have two Quattros, both connected to a DC power bank.

I also have a Bluesolar MPPT 150 l 70 MC4, but this is not installed yet, since I haven't bought any solar panels yet.

Now: how do I control and monitor all of this stuff?
I do have a Raspberry Pi lying around, so the ideal solution would connect this to both Quattros and the MPPT, since I could also use it for a security camera etc.

I did buy the MK3-USB, but I didn’t get it to work with my Mac.

I also have two multi control panels — which to be honest I would rather sell and not use.

Battery Protectsolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Matthias. Your system is large enough to warrant (and deserves) the Full-Monty treatment.

VRM portal is great. GX kit (a range of available) needed to get there, or a RPi loaded with Venus OS. That's semi-supported by Victron, and you could head over to the 'Modifications Space' to see happenings re that, or ask there if you have issues getting it up. Not sure how a security camera might be added in there, tis for you to sort that.

Your MK3-usb, hold onto it for Quattro firmware updates, and if ever needed just borrow a pc if you can't tweak your Mac.

All *free* so far - the only thing missing is being able to tweak settings in your mppt. Maybe a BT dongle there if you must, or wait-&-pray for VRM to find a way.. my hands together now too.. :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ray-mont avatar image
ray-mont answered ·

Now get some usb cables to connect your quattro’s and bluesolar to the Rpi

and your done.

2 |3000

Matthias avatar image
Matthias answered ·

Okay, this sounds promising. I would probably try both a readymade GX system and the VenusOS solution.

Which GX-panel would be advisable?

"Venus GX"

Looks to me, like it only has one VE.Bus (only a parallel) second one, so only one Quattro could be connected. Is that right? Or can I still connect both Quattros to this somehow?
I can directly connect the MPPT to this, correct?

"Color Control GX"

The "BlueSolar MPPT 150/70" would be connected via "VE.Can" port?
This device has a screen and supports VRM-portal, so isn't it pretty much superior to the "Venus GX"? Or are some features missing here?

"Raspberry Pi with VenusOS"

Connections to one Quattros (VE-Bus) with the "MK3-USB" connector, I guess?
Would this support connecting to both at the same time / with one connector?
Connections to MPPT via "VE.Direct to USB" connector, I assume?

There really should be a table listing all connection options in the data sheets.

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Yeh, Victron comms can be a little intimidating for the uninitiated. For good reason(s), but once you get your head around them - not so bad.

For the comms in general: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Whitepaper-Data-communication-with-Victron-Energy-products_EN.pdf

For a GX model comparison (& a lot of links): https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start#products_running_venus_os

Your 150/70 mppt comes in either VE.Direct or Can flavours, so check that. VE.Direct can be adapted to usb if you need, and VE.Bus is a 'bus' and can be daisy-chained or split. It's only used for inverters.

Note you can't use both a GX and RPi together. One VenusOS per system..

I find the CCGX screen handy for local (like in the same cabinet) access, but normally use just a house lappy over LAN for my normal 'screen' monitoring and infrequent tweaks. Your choice..

The VRM portal, I wonder nowadays how I ever did without it..

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BatteryProtect product page