question

nicetrip avatar image
nicetrip asked

Can I connect a BMV-712 and MPPT with a VE-direct cable?

Hi, I bought the 712 without BT feature :0(

Now I am wondering if I can connect it by VE-direct cable to the 712, and then be able to connect to both by BT app or BT connect software on Laptop?

I prefer the wired VE connection, and it should be the same bus like on BT.

Thanjs,

Chris

VE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You cannot connect those devices together with a VE.Direct cable, they are not designed to work this way.
Neither of those devices are designed to receive values, they only transmit values. If you connect them together they'll be unable to process received values and simply ignore each other.

MPPT's and BMV's transmit data to a receiving device such as a CCGX or VenusGX which is designed to process the received values.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nicetrip avatar image nicetrip commented ·

no editing....

I meant, I like to connect the 712 with the MPPT by ve-direct cable.

I also have only an Iphone5 with IOS10, can't install the app. Thats why BT laptop for now would be good.

Can I connect with the laptop to the 712 BT and see the MPPT configuration and status?

thanjs

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ nicetrip commented ·

No, that is not possible.

There are a few parameters exchanged betwee BT devices over a BT Smart network, but not configuration. For configuration, you need to connet directly to each device with a cable or BT dongle if the device is not a Smart model. One device canot act as a BT gateway to another one.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks, WKirby!

So the MPPT needs a bluetooth dongle to communicate with the 712 and to receive a charge stop, when tep is low?

If it is connected to the 712 by BT, can I still parallel get on to the MPPT by BT to configure it?

0 Likes 0 ·
bw32056 avatar image bw32056 commented ·

Hi @WKirby, I have the 702 and bluesolar 75/15. I didn't realise you cannot connect the 2 directly, I have had it connected for 1 year and were getting readings on the BMV of Amp loads, PV voltages and wattages. I have bought a BT dongle which on the way, where do I connect the BMV, to a shunt then the batteries?

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ bw32056 commented ·

This doesn't make much sense. The BMV doesn't display PV power, it only measures battery power, current or Voltage.
The BMV wouldn't even power up it was only connected to a MPPT via VE'Direct cable. The BMV must be connected to the shunt otherwise it will not even power up at all.
Are you sure you are not talking about an MPPT control which does connect directly to the MPPT with a VE.Direct cable?

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@NiceTrip, just to clarify, do you mean you bought the 702? A 712 without BT doesn't exist... As for the MPPT, did you buy the Smart or the Blue model? Trying to figure out what you actually have to be able to define what you actually need.

2 comments
2 |3000

yes, sorry Justin, I mixed it all up :0)) its the 712 with the MPPT 100/30 bluesolar.

0 Likes 0 ·
bw32056 avatar image bw32056 commented ·

Hi Justin Cook, I have the 702 and bluesolar 75/15. I didn't realise you cannot connect the 2 directly, I have had it connected for 1 year and were getting readings on the BMV of Amp loads, PV voltages and wattages. I have bought a BT dongle which on the way, where do I connect the BMV, to a shunt then the batteries?

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@NiceTrip, so it looks like your 712 is operating correctly, with BT enabled, and it's your MPPT that you want to have BT functionality for the purpose of low-temp charge prevention. In that case, you'll need either the temperature sensor for the BMV-702/712 and a BT dongle for the MPPT, or a Smart BatterySense and a BT dongle for the MPPT... I don't offhand recall which would be the most cost-effective solution, but either would work.

You can either connect the temp sensor to the BMV-712 shunt PCB and then set up a VE.Smart network from your BMV, connect the BT dongle to your MPPT and join the network you just created, or you can do basically the same thing without wires by using a Smart BatterySense and putting them all (the SBS, the BMV, and the MPPT with dongle attached) on the VE.Smart network.

No matter what, though, you definitely need the BT dongle for your MPPT so that it can receive temperature data from either the Smart BatterySense or the BMV (via the BMV -702/712 temperature sensor).

4 comments
2 |3000

Thanks Justin for clarification.

Only one more. Whiles the MPPT with BT dongle holds a long term BT connection to the BMV 712, would I be still able to open up another BT communication to it with my laptop or phone app, using the victron provided software?

Ah, and ... is it normal that the blue LED on the MPPT is very bright and the yellow and green ones are hardly visible?

thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ nicetrip commented ·

@NiceTrip, yes, you will be able to connect to the MPPT through the dongle while it's sharing information over a VE.Smart network with the BMV. You will not, however, be able to connect to it over BT from a laptop; the BT protocol used in laptop/desktop computers is different from the BT protocol used in phones and tablets.

If you want to connect to the device over BT, you need to use a phone or tablet; if you want to connect to it on a computer you'll need a VE.Direct to USB Interface... and then you'll have to unplug the BT dongle to plug in the USB interface, so... I'd just go for the phone or tablet route, if I were you!

0 Likes 0 ·
nicetrip avatar image nicetrip Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Justin,

well, its not simply phone or tablet, its the NEWEST phone or tablet! My Iphone5 can't get IOS 11 onto it, and the only important apps that I can't install on 10 anymore or upgrade to, are victron and FB. So it's ve-direct to USB. I have an rj45 to usb cable :(

Can I use a ve-direct to usb cable to configure the Multiplus 12/3000/120?

0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image adev nicetrip commented ·

You do not need the NEWEST iPhone or tablet. iOS 11 requires a iPhone 5s or newer, which will also run iOS 12. For iOS 13 you’d need an iPhone SE or newer.

An SE or even a 5s is a huge improvement over the 5 and I would highly recommend that as a minimum if you can upgrade.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources