question

tunde-olaoye-1 avatar image
tunde-olaoye-1 asked

Off Grid Installation AC Coupled Fronius Disconnects with Back Up Generator Is Switched On

Hello

I have installed Quattro 8kva with 8kW Fronius AC coupled with a CCGX 800Ah of batteries. It is an off grid installation with PV inverter assistant on. When I switch on my generator and the Quattro synchronises with it the Fronius inverter disconnects and says error code 107 which meant no grid.

My generator is 4.5kVa but the wave form is poor so I have limited the current to 13amps and I have used the Weak Ac function

From what I have read about the off grid systems in victron literatureI thought that the Quattro would control wave form so the Fronius and Generator could both power the loads and charge the generator.

But from reading other posts it seems the Quattro is just passing the generator AC frequency through and it’s too messy for the fronius to sync.

Is there a way to allow my generator and fronius to work?

battery chargingGeneratorac coupling
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Hello Tunde-olaoye,

In your case I would have the VEconfig running on my laptop connected to the Quattro with the MK2 or MK3 and then see the live numbers. You can see the frequency that the Quattro measures.

My experience with the Quattro is that is just passes the frequency from the generator to the output, same as with the voltage.

best regards,

Rob

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iromeo avatar image
iromeo answered ·

Have you set your Fronius to MG50? Maybe that is the issue here...

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Be careful what you wish for @tunde-olaoye,

Generally I do NOT recommend running a generator and AC PV inverter at the same time on an off grid system because of the potential for a surplus power spike (eg from a large load turning off) to feedback power INTO the generator.

It is not predictable how the generator will handle this potential, and it can cause damage.

I have written more about this in these answers:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/715/froniuscolour-gxquattro-byd-generator.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/9095/could-a-quattro-backfeed-ac-to-generator.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/28727/reverse-power-to-generator-in-ac-coupled-off-grid.html

2 |3000

jon-lowbank avatar image
jon-lowbank answered ·

Could it be that the frequency or voltage of the generator is to high causing the Fronius to shut down ?

2 |3000

Related Resources

AC-coupling and the Factor 1.0 rule

AC-coupled PV with Fronius PV Inverters

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop