question

navicomm avatar image
navicomm asked

Powering a Fridge Freezer from a MULTIPLUS 24V 3000W

We have a motoryacht with a MULTIPLUS 24V 3000W charger/inverter installed and the client wants to connect a BOSCH Amercian style fridge freezer to the inverter. Looking at the specifications of the fridge we think its power rating is about 300watts max so should be fine but looking at the manual it states that the fridge should not be powered from an inverter.

Can anybody confirm if this would be ok or why BOSCH would state that?

Thanks

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi N. You'd have to ask Bosch why they'd say that, but I'd suspect such statements may date back to the dreaded 'Modified square/sine wave' days, and they may consider it best/safer to lump *all* inverters into the one basket. And yeh, you can still buy crap like that, even some name brands.

That Multi will drive a compressor fridge fine. The 300W rating will likely be to cover defrost state, and the compressor likely way less than that, maybe even 50W?

And oh, in fridge territory, the ones that use R600a gas draw less current, and the batts overnight will appreciate that.. :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

petajoule avatar image
petajoule answered ·

If you can believe Victron marketing, they say a Multiplus (and some other inverters of theirs) are "pure sine wave". I have a Bosch fridge running on my Quattro for almost 5 years and I'd bet the fridge wouldn't know the difference to grid, but shhh don't tell. ;-)

Aside from that: are you sure the manual actually states it shouldn't be powered by an inverter or does the manual state

"No inverter compressor" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverter_compressor ?

Because some fridges do, some don't have said inverter compressor.

2 |3000

navicomm avatar image
navicomm answered ·

Thanks for the inputs, your comments are basically what our conclusions were.

This is the statement in the manual.

1571163080902.png (2.0 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

petajoule avatar image petajoule commented ·

I say if there was some problem connecting fridges to Victron inverters, we would have heard of it by now - from Victron.

While I won't pay for the damage if it eats your cat, I say you can "risk it". They probably want to be on the safe side. As I said, my Bosch + Quattro combo has been working over 5 years now. The only thing to take care of is to avoid overload situations.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Some fridges that are inverter powered control can upset the Victron inverter output and cause it to pulse or surge voltage under light light loads. I have seen this on some small electronic appliances that have any form of electronic control the voltages vary from 150-230vac.

The Victron inverters like more pure motor loads or resistive type loads. As i have seen this a few times now on Victron inverters.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

2 |3000