question

Stephen Phillips avatar image
Stephen Phillips asked

Victron Quattro 24/8000 Trips from Inverting to Float repeatedly

The quattro is configured as ESS, the 3300ah battery bank is made up of 2v OPZ batteries and is reporting 98% charged, each battery has been tested and is charged to between 2.11 and 2.13.

The system has been operating flawlessly for nearly 2 years, then 2 days ago the power in the house kept coming on and then going off (during a period of around 15 seconds).

The Inverting light comes on for approx 15 seconds and then goes out followed immediately by the float light for 1 second, then all lights off for one second. This cycle then repeats indefinitely.

No errors have been reported by the CCGX.

Any idea's would be appreciated.

ESSvictron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Stephen Phillips

First thing to check: batteries / battery connections / fuses / etc.

Is the site online? and if so, what is the name / VRM id? (I can take a look for you if you want)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stephen Phillips answered ·

Hello Daniel, I've checked the battery connections and fuses etc and all connection are tight, the battery voltage at the Quattro is 25.4v. At the moment the house is connected directly to the grid and is by passing the inverter. I've put the inverter into charge only mode.

My site name is 'The Barns' and the site key is a0f6fd6b285a so you can take a look.

Thanks Steve

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Stephen Phillips

I've looked into it, it seems the battery is disconnected. Please have an installer look at the system if you cannot find the problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stephen Phillips answered ·

Hello Daniel, the batteries are connected and I've read the voltage on the battery + - on the Quattro unit and it reads 25.3v, so the bank is obviously connected.

The CCGX also confirms that the batteries are connected with a voltage of 25.1.

Any more ideas?

6 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Stephen Phillips

This voltage is generated by the Quattro, it is not coming from the battery. The battery is disconnected.

Please have an electrician / installer check out your system. A loose connection is a potentially dangerous situation.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stephen Phillips avatar image Stephen Phillips Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hello Daniel, An electrician has now disconnected the battery bank from the Quattro's battery +- terminals and measured the voltage as 25.3v, he also checked the fuse which is also ok. Do you have any other ideas?

0 Likes 0 ·
Stephen Phillips avatar image Stephen Phillips Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

The quattro is turned off at the moment so if you want to check anything let me know and I'll turn it back on again.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Stephen Phillips commented ·

it's the 'The Barns' site I assume?

look at the VRM graphs, 'DC voltage' is stable (as it is provided by the Quattro), and drops to very low without current drawn.

This is a sign the batteries are somehow disconnected from the Quattro.

Try putting a load on the battery and see what happens?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hello Daniel, I have installed a new Quattro 24/8000 and the system is now up and running again, not the battery bank but a faulty inverter (I'll send it back for repair).

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Stephen Phillips commented ·

Thanks for the update, I've never seen that before!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic