question

kirtap avatar image
kirtap asked

Victron Orion Smart?

Hi,

In the demo section of the Victron connect app I have found an Orion Smart. This is exactly what I have been looking for. And keep my fingers crossed its not to expensive.

Anyone that know anything about a launch or price?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Stefan Lay avatar image
Stefan Lay answered ·

Just today I got a message about these products

See here

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/10/10/new-product-orion-tr-smart-dc-dc-charger/

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kai avatar image
kai answered ·

I don't think you're going to get an answer here - please see

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/5889/new-victron-community-guidelines.html

There's a section in there specifically around new products.

It does look interesting though!

2 comments
2 |3000

kirtap avatar image kirtap commented ·

Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
timmermc avatar image timmermc commented ·

Pricelist is from the past Q3, expecting soon now the 2019 Q4 pricelist to come.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Looking at other smart/non-smart products I would say a smart orion will cost 20-30€ more than a non-smart.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thats my thought as well. Have been eyeballing victron buck boost for a while, but its way to expensive when I need just 15A of charging.

0 Likes 0 ·
timmermc avatar image
timmermc answered ·

Have been visiting my Victron dealer today. The Buck-Boost is a fantastic piece of equipment but to complicated for my use. I don't need this technical wonder for my simple configuration. The new Orion Smart 30A would be the perfect solution in my case.

Until today nothing is known about a delivery date for the new Orion Smart.

2 |3000

Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

Victron just posted a new video today about alternator charging and it mentions the new Orion Smart. So I would guess an announcement is too far off.

2 comments
2 |3000

Looking promising!

0 Likes 0 ·
timmermc avatar image timmermc commented ·

My guess: it will be presented at the METSTRADE (marine industry professional show) Nov 19th in Amsterdam NL

0 Likes 0 ·
Gregory Cavanagh avatar image
Gregory Cavanagh answered ·

I see its on their website now under DC-DC chargers

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Kirtap, depends on your location; Europe will likely see them the end of this year, while here in the US it'll be sometime in January... we're a distributor on the West coast and we're usually first in line for US shipments; we're (fingers crossed) hoping to have them on our shelves by the mid to end of January.

2 |3000

rheinskipper avatar image
rheinskipper answered ·

A "smart" DC-DC charger is definitely an exciting product. But so far the Orion is missing some key features:

1. I want an alternator temperature sensor connected, so the charger reduces load if the alternator gets too hot. Alternators very easily overheat due to poor cooling at low RPM.

2. It is great to see charging voltage in the Victron connect app. But I also like to see amperage.

3. Max. 30A is way too weak for fast charging a larger house battery bank. And putting 3 or more Orions in parallel is a bit pricey and inconvenient to install.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic