question

snaptec avatar image
snaptec asked

Multiplus II GX enable ESS Mode 3

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to enable ESS Mode 3 with a Multiplus II GX.

In Ve Configure I set the GridCode and configured Inverter/Charger and added the Assistant "ESS".

I've send the settings to the Multiplus.

On the web interface of the CCGX unter Settings -> ESS is just shown "No ESS Assistant found".

Tried reboots and made a fw update to 2.33.

What did I wrong or what did I missed?

Final goal:

Have a "dump" bidirectional inverter for charging / discharging over Modbus like here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:ess_mode_2_and_3

in Mode 3.

Multiplus-IIESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
zak avatar image
zak answered ·

In "System setup"<"system name", do you have the ESS checked ?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

snaptec avatar image
snaptec answered ·

omg, thanks Zak.

Shame on me, that was on Auto.

Now ESS is available.

Where is that documented?

I thought that this is just a name for the Display.

I think that "external control" is the right config in ESS for using mode 3 and controlling via modbus?

Anything else I should know or configurate?

The battery connected will be liion, with its own balancers and bms.

High/Low Voltages are configured.

10 comments
2 |3000

Hi @snaptec

System name has nothing to do with functionality.

ESS assistant not being available: was the Multi connected and on? if not it is not available.

0 Likes 0 ·
snaptec avatar image snaptec Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

its a multiplus II GX.

When its off the gx part is also off!?

0 Likes 0 ·
snaptec avatar image snaptec Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Could be possible that the switch has been on "Charger only" and not on fully on. Remote Switch is not used. But I'm not sure.

Could you please confirm this?

I think that "external control" is the right config in ESS for using mode 3 and controlling via modbus?

It's hard to find the right document for configuring this scenario.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ snaptec commented ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:start

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:ess_mode_2_and_3

AFAIK:

generally: mode3 = external control,

mode2 = optimized, and you set the grid-setpoint and charge / discharge enable.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks for your help, I think I'm on the right way.

When "No Battery Monitor" is enabled and ESS in "optimized" I can set the grid point with register 2700 on ID 100.

The Multiplus still shows Bulk/Absorption, is this normal even in Lithium Mode?

When setting ess to "external control" the Multiplus goes into ESS passthru.

On top of that ID 242 / 246 is not readable (registers 37/38/39).

They are also not readable in optimized mode.

I can write to them, but nothing happens. Maybe the last faulty bit?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ snaptec commented ·
1 Like 1 ·
peter-vddriessche avatar image peter-vddriessche Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Daniël,

I refer to the suggestion you made above:

"generally: mode3 = external control,

mode2 = optimized, and you set the grid-setpoint and charge / discharge enable."

I have managed to get access to my CCGX using Modbus TCP in Mode 3 (for example, I can read and set register 37 ESS power setpoint phase 1 using the ID 246 for the com.victronenergy.vebus service name). But in Mode 2, I should be able to read and write register 2700 "ESS Control Loop setpoint" using the ID 100 for the com.victronenergy.settings service name). But that does not work.

Following your comment I have:

- set mode to "optimized" (not "optimized (Battery life)". Is this correct

- set the gridpoint

But where do i set "charge/discharge enable" in the "Settings menu"? I don't see this option there.

Thx a lot,

Peter

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ peter-vddriessche commented ·

Hi @peter_vddriessche@hotmail.com

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, you only have to set register 2700 in mode 2

you can use optimized with or without battery life.

0 Likes 0 ·
peter-vddriessche avatar image peter-vddriessche Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hello Daniël,

What I want to do is time shifting using Mode 2.

I cannot write register 2700 which sits on the Unit-ID 100 (com.victronenergy.settings). But I can write for example register 22 which sits on the Unit-ID 246 (com.victronenergy.vebus). So my modbus connection works (I can also read registers).

When I look at my system on the VRM Portal, I see under Modbus TCP Services, the following list, where 'com.victronenergy.settings' is missing. Could this be the reason I cannot write 2700? And how can I solve this?

Best regards

Peter

com.victronenergy.system
com.victronenergy.hub4
com.victronenergy.vebus
com.victronenergy.battery
com.victronenergy.pvinverter
com.victronenergy.grid
0 Likes 0 ·