question

brassmonkey001 avatar image
brassmonkey001 asked

BMV 712 temperature sensor and MPPT charge controller

I am installing some LiFePO4 batteries (not Victron ones, sorry!) in my van which will be charged by solar power. I have a BMV 712 installed with the optional temperature sensor. I also have a Smartsolar 100/50 MPPT charge controller installed. What I want to know is do the two Victron products talk to each other? With LiFePO4 batteries, temperature is very important so I want to know whether the BMV tells the MPPT charger what the temperature of the batteries are so that it knows when to stop charging?

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery MonitorLithium BatteryTemperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Hi BM..

Your bmv712 will share voltage and temp data with the smartsolar. This will provide the mppt with voltage compensation, and low temp charge disable when set up.

Easy as "create ve network" on the bmv, then "join ve network" on the mppt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

brassmonkey001 avatar image
brassmonkey001 answered ·

Nice one klim, that was so simple!

2 |3000

mattsmith avatar image
mattsmith answered ·

As a thought I actually preferred to see mid point deviation on my 712 and so bought the relatively cheap battery sense. It provides voltage and temperature. All the best with your install.

1 comment
2 |3000

erutan avatar image erutan commented ·

Any issues with having the smart battery sense in the middle with the BMV? I'm thinking of doing the same thing, and am wondering about needleesly introducing complexity:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/50225/two-batteries-temperature-with-smartsolar-10030-an.html

0 Likes 0 ·