question

inhabor avatar image
inhabor asked

Why my MPPT is showing ESS instead of Bulk in the middle of a sunny day with the batteries at 60% charge?

MPPT ControllersESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ยท

Hi. This is likely to be because the mppt is not deciding it's own charge state, but feeding from another device which is telling it what to do. Ie. it doesn't know whether it's in Bulk or not, but is being decided by an external controller (eg CCGX or Battery BMS).

A recent firmware update altered that notification from "ESS" to "External Control", because it was confusing users who didn't have ESS installed.

Is this explanation relevant?, as we don't know your setup..

11 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

inhabor avatar image inhabor commented ยท

How can I fix this? Can I disable the ESS? The system is in a vehicle. It has a multiplus compact, MPPT and a CCGX

0 Likes 0 ยท
JohnC avatar image JohnC โ™ฆ inhabor commented ยท

In a mobile application you shouldn't be using ESS anyway. That's clearly stated in the ESS documentation.

So yes, disable/remove it, and see what happens. Maybe you have other 'special' stuff too, so I can't guarantee a fix. But that's a good start..

0 Likes 0 ยท
inhabor avatar image inhabor JohnC โ™ฆ commented ยท

I'm sorry for bothering so much, but I'm kind of new to this stuff. Any chance that you can explain how to disable the ESS please?

0 Likes 0 ยท

In your GX, Device List > Settings > ESS.

You may find it's actually not there anyway, just reported as ESS as my first post sez.

In that case it may be something else, but check and come back.

No bother, keep asking..

0 Likes 0 ยท

I tried that yesterday and is not there. That's why I asking. I thought it was going to be that simple but it wasn't.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Ok, so what else are you using, a batt BMS, DVCC, etc.?

Maybe just start by updating your firmware of the CCGX and mppt. That's a doddle via GX/VRM.

0 Likes 0 ยท

I have a BMV-712,Renogy lithium phosphate batteries 2000/12multipus compact,MPPT 10/30 and GXCC.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Yeh, there's a fair chance your unit is being 'ruled' by the Renogy bms. Only you can say for sure.

The mppt will report 'ESS' or 'Remote Control' (with newer firmware). And that's normal.

Hopefully you have VRM access and can study up on what's happening on the graphs.

But take care relying on SOC as an absolute determinant of your batt status. The BMV will need 'tuning' to provide useful readings, so take care with it too.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Tuning the BMV? Now you have me scratching my head.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Head scratching is for while you're reading the manual.. :)

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-BMV-700-700H-702-712-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-SE-PT-IT.pdf

It's quite comprehensive, and necessarily so, to get it 'tuned' to show a useful SOC. It's a very accurate device measuring Amps, but needs to be told how to calculate SOC.

Look to 'Peukert exponent' and 'Charge Efficiency Factor' firstly, and set them to suit your batts. This is a trial'n'error process to a degree, so be patient..

But even then SOC may drift away from reality, so it needs to sync to 100% regularly. Look then to the 'Charged Voltage' and 'Tail Current' to set that up.

If it's all to onerous to go through, then just abandon the BMV's SOC as a useful figure.

Have fun..

0 Likes 0 ยท

I'm sorry I got confused. I did all that. The system is working fine again on his own. Thanks for your help.

0 Likes 0 ยท