question

denzel avatar image
denzel asked

How do I do more advanced ESS controls on Multiplus?

Good Day,

Can someone guide me to setting an ESS for the the requirement below :

I have a grid feed (230v) into a 3000W Multi . I have 2*200ah batteries and Solar panels using MPPT charging .

I want to the following :

Use the power from the solar and batteries and use the grid

IF

the load required is more than eg :1500W automatically use the grid

IF NOT

User the Solar or batteries

IF

There is not enough power from the solar or batteries use the Grid .

Is this possible?

Regards

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Yes it can do all of those easily.

The ESS documentation which explains how is here - https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual

Regards

Rob D

NZ

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

denzel avatar image
denzel answered ·

Hi Rob,

So i tried using the assistant called "ess" today. Its the basic one as see posted. Can you tell me what would be the outcome of the screen shot attached.

capture.png (21.3 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi

Nothing really just standard setup, there are other settings in the CCGX or Raspi control unit which you can set to.

I see that there was no PV setting in the ESS setup, as this is required so the Multiplus can use the solar side for charging and grid connection mode etc.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Hello Denzel,

Yes, believe this is possible,

You can play with this in the VE Configue3 program. You can download on the Victron website.

Then install and run. Under Port Selection, select Full Fake... now you run a simulation.

On the TAB "Virtual switch", then tab "Usage" select dedicated ignore AC input... then on the tab " Ignore AC input you can set a condition. Here you can select the LOAD in Watt, and if so true use the Grid...

Hope this helps you further.

Rob

2 comments
2 |3000

denzel avatar image denzel commented ·

Hi Rob,

Thanks , this a an amazing learning curve .

So if i use the "ess" assistance and the changes to "ignore AC input" below the outcome should be :

If the AC loads are more than 2548W use the AC input power(in my case the grid)

If the AC loads go down to 637W use an alternative (battery or solar in my case)

Battery Conditions:

Basically if my SOC is less than 50% AC will kick in .

Regards

0 Likes 0 ·
capture1.png (44.9 KiB)
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie denzel commented ·

Hi

Yes you can.

0 Likes 0 ·