question

thomas avatar image
thomas asked

Equalisation Using Advanced Setting for Multi/Quattro in CCGX

Now that we can remotely trigger an equalisation charge with the CCGX (Start Equalisation button to the Multi/Quattro menu. See Device List -> Multi or Quattro -> Advanced)

Can anyone confirm what the settings are for this equalisation? Does it prompt you to set a voltage, current, charging time etc. and does it / can it also autostart the generator for this purpose? If not I assume it does the 1 or 2 hour equalisation at absorption voltage. My concern with testing this would be if it used the settings for tubular plate traction batteries as indicated in VE Configure. Hence why I'm hoping for an account from someone who has tested it!

CCGX Color ControlVEConfigure 3equalisation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
alan avatar image
alan answered ·

In the equalisation mode, the MultiPlus will charge with increased voltage for one hour (1V above the absorption voltage for a 12V battery, 2V for a 24V battery). The charging current is then limited to 1/4 of the set value. The “bulk” and “absorption” LEDs flash intermittently

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thomas avatar image
thomas answered ·

If you're right this would mean 61.60 VDC for a 48 V system based on absorption of 2.4 VDC / cell.

I wouldn't be confident to try this, the manufacturers guidelines don't appear to permit it.

2 |3000

alan avatar image
alan answered ·

That’s straight from the manual of the multiplus.

2 |3000

offgridsystems avatar image
offgridsystems answered ·

Can the CCGX be set up to automatically go into Equalisation on a schedule, like monthly or every two weeks?

As we know, the customer is never going to do it themselves, and other products have schedules built in, including Victron Smart MPPT's.

The equalisation button is there, though no parameters to set up which is worrying.

1 comment
2 |3000

Nazareth Kevorkian avatar image Nazareth Kevorkian commented ·

I would like to re-activate this thread, as automatic scheduled equalization is of high importance in most of my systems.

I manage a power system integrating PV (AC coupled), Batteries (Rolls 2YS31P, 48V bank), three Quattro 15kVA, 100kVA Diesel Genset and Mains power. As PV is not enough to fully charge my batteries at least once every week, I run a high risk of premature sulfation of my battery cells. To avoid this I need to equalize and fully charge my batteries at least once every 2 weeks.

Before the ESS was introduced on CCGX, the VE.Config "Self Consumption Hub-2 v2" and "Hub-1" included automatic equalization feature. Now ESS is not compatible with neither of these Hubs, so we are left without this very important feature, as we are reliant on more advanced ESS.

Is any alternative solution to schedule automatic equalization for the systems enduring almost daily deep cycling?

On a parallel note, is the "Tubular Plate Traction Battery Curve" in VE.Config a quick solution for this problem? If it is, can someone confirm that repeated scheduled feature is included/ensured in this feature!

If no solution is available so far, I would be happy to see this feature in a new update of the CCGX or ESS package, including for sure a customizable parameter setting page for the automatic equalization feature.

0 Likes 0 ·
ddickov avatar image
ddickov answered ·

Hi there I have a similar problem also, I have a Quattro 48/10000 and when I set it to equalise the voltage rises to 61.4 and thus shuts down my MPPT150/70TR. I disconnected it for the process but I am also wondering if there is a way to adjust the Quattro equalisation voltage. I have the laptop connected also and can’t see adjustment for this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks David

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
As far as I can see, manual control of equalisation voltage is only possible on solar chargers
0 Likes 0 ·
ddickov avatar image ddickov kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks for your reply
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page