question

Greg avatar image
Greg asked

MPPT 100/20 Lithium Battery Configuration

Hi, I've just connected a SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 (version 1.37 firmware) to a 12v 100AH Lithium Battery and can not find a battery setting to use.

I only have 4 presets (AGM spirel cell, Gel Victron deep discharge(1), Gel Victron deep discharge(2), & Gel Victrol long life (OPzV)

I have the latest Apple IOS, the latest IOS Victron app and connect via Bluetooth . I normally charge the battery from 240V AC with a Victron BlueSmart 30A charger set to Lithium with no problems

MPPT ControllersLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

So I presume that the four presets that you can see are in the little "Battery presets" window that pops up when you select "Select preset". Am I right so far?

It's not immediately obvious, but you can actually scroll in that popup window to reveal more options.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

K.J Kumar avatar image K.J Kumar commented ·

Thanks again, Kirby. I had the similar instance, I didn't scroll down to view more choices. This was the first time I ever owned MPPT 100/30 unit software and now updated the parameters.

112320/0543PST-1343UTC

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Polz avatar image
Peter Polz answered ·

You already have "Userdefined Setting". You just have to selecting that. After that you can configure the values fitting to your LI block/Applicaton, because ever battery has it's own settings so it doesn't make sense in my eyes to have an option for "all" LI Batteries

1 comment
2 |3000

Greg avatar image Greg commented ·

Victron has a Lithium (all implied) setting on it's normal mains AC charger.

This is no different.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

The default settings will likely work OK. They are fairly safe and most lithium batteries are designed to be close to a gel cell voltage profile.

But it is definitely best to get charge settings as close to what the battery manufacturer specified as possible.

The smart battery chargers have less configuration options available than the MPPT. But they do have an additional lithium setting available out of the box.

1 comment
2 |3000

Greg avatar image Greg commented ·

This controller doesn’t have the menu option. Only the 4 listed. It’s advertised as handling lithium but has no menu option like my other Victron charger. That’s my real problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
Greg avatar image
Greg answered ·

thanks, I found that Lithium option.

They should have scroll bars, arrows or some other indication that the list extends....

2 comments
2 |3000

Good idea Greg,

I will pass on the suggestion to the dev team.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Greg - Hi Greg,

There is a new beta version of VictronConnect that now includes scroll bars for the MPPT preset lists.

If you like you can try it here, or wait until it is included in the next official release.

0 Likes 0 ·
Greg avatar image
Greg answered ·

Thanks. I’d like to try it but I’m out camping at the moment. I’ll try the beta or final update after Christmas.

I’m very glad I’ve at least found the option as it’s been charging my lithium battery fine (although Sydney has had lots of clouds lately)

2 |3000

thanar avatar image
thanar answered ·

With most of the storage industry moving to Lithium, I believe there should be more Lithium-related options on all Viltron products.

For example, there should be a "chemistry" toggle that would include Lithium and would actually also update the GUI from bulk/float to CC/CV, since that's actually what happens. Also, you could add options for LiFePo4 / Li-Ion / Li-Po and stuff.

If you would like to take it one step further, you could also add presets for 3S all the way up to 8S (for 12/24V chargers).

2 |3000