question

xmd avatar image
xmd asked

VictronConnect macOS app feature suggestions

I just loaded the latest VictronConnect macOS app. I'm running Mojave 10.14.6.

In general, I really love the app, and the fact that it's available on my macbook and iPhone and iPad.

Here are some issues/suggestions:

1. The version number is hard to find: there should be an "About VictronConnect" menuItem which shows a window with the version number. (The version number is shown on the app / hamburger menu / Settings panel, but this is a little hidden)
  2. The app's plist is missing a proper version string. On macOS it's traditional for the CFBundleGetInfoString to include the version number. E.g. "VictronConnect 5.9 ยฉ2019 Victron" or similar. As a result, GetInfo from the Finder doesn't show the version number.
  3. I'm unable to update the firmware on my Phoenix 12/800 from 1.14 to 1.17. I keep getting error 26. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start#error_codes I'm doing this from a 2019 MacBook Pro, and the devices are within 2 feet of each other. It fails at a random % each time, which suggests bluetooth connection problems.
VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
xmd avatar image
xmd answered ยท

Update: I tried updating the firmware on my Phoenix 12/800 from 1.14 to 1.17, but this time instead of using my macBook Pro, I used my iPad. It worked the first time.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ยท

Hi @xmd,

Happy to hear you got the firmware update done. That is the #1 bit of working advice, try it again with another device, lucky these days there is usually another one available!

Unfortunately, the feature you praise may also tie our hands with the other 2 requests. The framework we use to get cross platform app compatibility means that some macOS conventions such as version number placement get put in a generic spot accessible to all devices (eg Android). I will pass along the suggestion to the developers but I don't think we will be able to fix that one.

I sympathise though, I have done a lot of testing with VictronConnect versions, sometimes 3 at a time for various features and it can get confusing.

1 comment
2 |3000

Charlie avatar image Charlie commented ยท
@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Happy New Year Mr. Steward. Just purchased two Multiplus-ii 120v for a split phase configuration. When commissioning, Victron's recommendation is to update the firmware of both Multiplus.

1st question: Will I be able to do the update using my Macbook Pro M1 Monterrey 12.6? I also have Macbook Pro with intel cpu.

2nd question: Where in Victron's website is the documentation that I need to follow to configure both inverters into a split phase configuration. The info I found so far is to first configure for parallel and then configure for split phase 180.

Best regards, Carlos

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources