question

randy19064 avatar image
randy19064 asked

Replacing old converter

I am upgrading a 2017 Cherokee 5th wheel. Adding solar and Victron Multiplus 3000/50/12. I will be removing my old WFCO converter and seperate inverter. I was wondering if it is OK to take the side of the 50 amp line that supplied my old converter and use it to supply the ac in on the multi plus then run the ac out into the lines that used to be feed by the old inverter. Would this create a problem when I am on shore power?

wiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Theoretically, that sounds about right. Obviously we cannot see the existing wiring, but I think you are on the right track.

The difference between the old converter /inverter system and a MultiPlus is that shore power will be passed through to AC loads whilst the battery is being charged.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andsoitiswritten avatar image
andsoitiswritten answered ·

If your WFCO is wired similar to my 30A unit the converter is wired into the AC breakers. The Multiplus needs to be wired between shore power and the stock breakers. So where the shore power goes into the stock breakers needs to be interrupted and hooked to multiplus and then ac out on the multi goes to breakers. Then you can just disconnect the stock converter. Since you have 50 amp service so you probably have two sets of breakers and 2 hot wires. Multi should be only connected to one set. Technical you could have two multis hooked up since 50 amp service is technically 100 amps... 2 times 50amps hot lines.

2 |3000

randy19064 avatar image
randy19064 answered ·

So I did it. I took the one leg that supplied ac to the original converter and made it the ac in on the multi plus. I took the line that was the ac out from the original inverter and made that ac out. Removed both original converter and inverter and everything is working just as it should. When on shore power it goes into pass thru, then rolls over to inverter as soon as shore power is off. And charges lithium ion batteries quicker. All the features that I had but only better and more power and solar...

2 |3000

Related Resources