question

tabney0315 avatar image
tabney0315 asked

MPPT Settings Change when firmware is updated?

Hi All -

Is it possible that when you update the MPPT to the latest firmware that some of the battery settings can be reset to default?

I could be mistaken on what my settings were before but I am a pretty detailed person and wouldn't expect that I had my MPPT settings incorrect.

That said, I just upgraded my MPPT firmware to the latest, 2.19 or 1.42, (idk which one to reference) and I noticed that 2 of my settings were off:

1. The Temperature Compensation setting was set to -36.00mV/F, which I believe is the default. I would have had that set to -20.00mV/F as I have Lifeline AGM batteries.

2. The Maximum Absorption Time setting was set to 2H, when I would have had that setting to 6H.

Again, while very unlikely, there is a possibility that I set these to what I saw but I just wanted to check if I need to be checking my settings after every update.

Thanks,

Tom

MPPT Controllersfirmware updatesolarsmartwatch
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Hi Tom,

"I just wanted to check if I need to be checking my settings after every update. "

Given the features and functionality of the charger can change with a firmware update, it would be wise to check all settings and functions after a firmware update.

"I just upgraded my MPPT firmware to the latest, 2.19 or 1.42, (idk which one to reference)"

1.42 will be a ve direct model, 2.19 will be a ve can model (?). You don't mention what mppt you have.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tabney0315 avatar image tabney0315 commented ·

Thanks for the response. I have the SmartSolar 100/30 & 100/50. They both displayed the same results.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ tabney0315 commented ·

The 2.19 would most likely be the Bluetooth firmware version, as the BT F/W updates separately from the MPPT F/W and has a separate version number.

0 Likes 0 ·
tabney0315 avatar image tabney0315 commented ·

If it is changing, I'd think Victron may want to consider adding to their road map, to not have settings change when an update occurs.

As a user, I can't remember all the settings across my devices on what each field should be. I'd prefer to not have to look them up every update.

Additionally, I just checked my settings by chance and highly doubt that a majority of users update the firmware then go and check their settings. That is not a realistic expectation unless they knew their setting would be changed.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ tabney0315 commented ·

Hi @tabney0315

I've asked the developers, and the only way the settings can change when updating the firmware is when the settings cannot be migrated for some reason.

When this happens, standard settings are used, and you get a popup after the upgrade warning about this.

Normally all settings are left alone.

0 Likes 0 ·
tabney0315 avatar image tabney0315 Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you confirmation and looking into this! I do not remember the warning but may have clicked through the pop up without reading. I’ll monitor more closely on the next update.

0 Likes 0 ·
don1cobb avatar image
don1cobb answered ·

I have the same issue, only worse. The maximum charge voltage changed on my MPPT 250/85. It was 48.7 before the upgrade and was set to 56 after the upgrade. This probably would have started a fire if I had not seen it. I would insist that Victron make sure to include a warning to recheck or download settings after any upgrade. THIS

6 comments
2 |3000

don1cobb avatar image don1cobb commented ·

THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @don1cobb

did the voltage change from updating the firmware? or when loading an older settings file?

Anyway, if this could have started a fire you're missing a safety level in your system.
A BMS needs to be able to disconnect a battery from the system if overcharging leads to dangerous situations.

0 Likes 0 ·
don1cobb avatar image don1cobb Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I didn't have a setting file for this device, so it was definitely the update. I did it last night. BTW, I do have a BMS setup, however that option would have cut the power off, not what I had in mind. You do need to take responsibility for this and warn people to check their settings after any update.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ don1cobb commented ·

Hi @don1cobb

We do test a lot and this shouldn't happen, do you know from what version to what version you upgraded? and was this with the latest version of Victron Connect?

0 Likes 0 ·
don1cobb avatar image don1cobb Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I updated from 1.39 to 1.42. It was not with the latest version of Victron Connect as I did that update after I did the firmware update. Hope this helps.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ don1cobb commented ·

Hi @don1cobb

I've asked the developers, and the only way the settings can change when updating the firmware is when the settings cannot be migrated for some reason.

When this happens, standard settings are used, and you get a popup after the upgrade warning about this.

0 Likes 0 ·
don1cobb avatar image
don1cobb answered ·

Thanks for following up. I didn't see a popup about checking the settings. I will in the future be checking the settings after any update.

2 |3000