question

mmosberg avatar image
mmosberg asked

Venus GX GPS compatibility

I read that the Venus GX can read NMEA0183 GPS signals, and that is has been tested at baudrate 4800 and 19200 on five different GPSes. Will the Venus GX depend on the GPS to use the chipset in one of the tested GPSes? Or is the Venus GX only depending on that the GPS is transmitting NMEA0183? Would for instance this mass produced UBLOX 7020 chip design GPS transmitting at baudrate 9600 work fine?

Venus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I bought a Globalsat BU353S4 on Amazon ($26) to connect to my CCGX. This on is on the list of tested units (CCGX Manual).

This unit is $11 more than the one you reference and ships from the US so you don't need to wait for the next ship from China.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dunnp avatar image
dunnp answered ·

I just bought a cheap one on Ebay ($13 in Australia), plugged it in and it worked! The specs were vague but did mention NMEA0183 protocol at 9600 baud and suggested compatibility with the BU353S chipset. The units officially supported cost about $45 here, so buying the cheapie one was a gamble and I was prepared to bin it and buy a 'proper' one. But looks like I'm lucky this time.

Cheers

Phil

2 |3000