question

southace avatar image
southace asked

Trying to understand the MPPT bluesolar Charging behaviour

Why is it my new mppt 100/50 solar charger register a yield of 120w at after midnight and calling is yesterday and yesterday's charge is now registering as 2 days ago? I'm confused perhaps a solar shower last Night?

battery chargingcharger
img-0658.png (210.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Ace. It's likely you've disconnected your panels at some stage, and the mppt will read that as a 'night'.

It has no absolute internal clock, and so it's days become 'solar days' of uninterrupted light.

Call this a 'glitch' or whatever, but it's more a remnant of the bluetooth developments to kit never designed to tell you the time. I guess it could be done, but would only add to costs.

And of course it's always possible to step up to a GX box and VRM portal for the limousine treatment.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Southace, a few issues in the 30 day history report were fixed in the last firmware update.

To install it, a few options:

- wait a few weeks for VictronConnect 5.9 to be released (this is what I recommend!). It will install it automatically. Or:

- download the VictronConnect 5.9 beta https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta, or:

- use the VictronConnect you already have and take the firmware file from https://professional.victronenergy.com. That also has the change log. Or

- use VRM Remote firmware updates; requires a GX device to be in the system.

2 |3000

southace avatar image
southace answered ·

So why would my solar controller make power at 3am in pitch black darkness? Or is it just a glitch in the system?

img-0659.png (211.6 KiB)
2 |3000

southace avatar image
southace answered ·

So that's my first week with the blue solar 100/50 and my second day with the VE direct blue tooth, still puzzled why it did a little charge after midnight, I did see a news report about a solar sky show around midweek I doubt that would be the cause though.

img-0660.png (212.0 KiB)
2 |3000

southace avatar image
southace answered ·

Today has been my lowest yield for the week yet the charge went to absorption in the quickest time (11am) I Would have thought it would be better to keep it at bulk for at least 6 hours like most 3 stage chargers?

img-0665.png (208.2 KiB)
2 |3000

ripper avatar image
ripper answered ·

Both screenshots show pm as time at the top. Makes it midday to afternoon which sounds very reasonable with the sun up and what not.

2 |3000

southace avatar image
southace answered ·

Another interesting day of charge can now see a patten where I isolated 600amph battery bank and now just charging the 400amph bank.

img-0666.png (210.7 KiB)
2 |3000

southace avatar image
southace answered ·

I wonder how the next update will change this. I can see the absorption time varies a bit.

img-0667.png (166.2 KiB)
2 |3000

southace avatar image
southace answered ·

Thanks to whoever re formed my post liisting.thats a first!

2 |3000

southace avatar image
southace answered ·

Today's been a good run I added the 680 amp bank last night and the system went to float after lunch my min volts are looking good with a fridge run overnight. 12.6 mins and 14.4 max is what I'm happy with for 1000 amphr agm battery bank and 500watt of solar.

img-0671.png (209.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual