question

peterpan1 avatar image
peterpan1 asked

Can I charge a battery with a Victron MPPT 75|15 by simply supplying it 17 V DC from a bench power supply instead of connecting it to solar panels?

I only use my solar system during summer and I'd like to top my batteries off-season with a cheap method. I do not want to invest into another battery charger, so I figured maybe I could simply use the MPPT for this purpose.

MPPT Controllersbattery chargingcharger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ยท

@peterpan1, it's worth noting that since the MPPT needs battery voltage +5v to initialize, you'll probably want to run your power supply at a minimum of 18v to make sure the MPPT turns on... 17v will only turn it on if your batteries are at <12v, which obviously is well below where they'll likely be sitting.

Otherwise, yes, this definitely works... I use a variable power supply on my test bench to test MPPTs, though I'm usually running at around 22-24v just for the sake of ease. For a 75/15, your only critical consideration is making sure you don't exceed 75vDC in, which shouldn't be a problem.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ยท

Yes you can do this,

make sure that the charger can supply a continuous rated 15 amps or you may damage the charger if the batteries are flat etc.

1 comment
2 |3000

sean avatar image sean commented ยท

The bench power supply doesnt need to be capable of continuous operation at 15A.

It simply needs to be capable of continious operation at its maximum rating, whatever that is - likely less than 15A.

The MPPT will simply maximise the amount of current available from the source.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic