question

Vyacheslav Denysenko avatar image
Vyacheslav Denysenko asked

Fronius + Fronius Smartmeter energy management, off-grid system

Hello,

I’m wondering if it’s possible to use Quattro/Multiplus together with Fronius inverter + Fronius Smartmeter and avoiding frequency shifting. That concerns off-grid system. For on-grid systems, a combination Multi/Quattro + Fronius inverter is much stable and operating seamlessly, no doubt.

What I noticed, the frequency shifting is not as much effective or responsive as Fronius Smartmeter can manage energy generation.

Brining the Fronius Inverter from a generating status to a zero-feed point is done in less than 5.0 sec for a wide levels of energy production.

I understand, that there are a great number of different conditions to be met, but the question is if at least, theoretically, such a scheme may correctly operate.

Thanks in advance,

Vyacheslav

Fronius
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Vyacheslav Denysenko

No this won't work, please draw a diagram of the system, and where the smart meter would be installed. Then you'll see why.

Frequency shifting works perfectly fine.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Vyacheslav Denysenko avatar image
Vyacheslav Denysenko answered ·

Hello Daniёl,

The SmartMeter is installed between Fronius inverter and Quattro’s ACOut1. The system also has an Ohmpilot from Fronius for dumping energy to a boiler heater. The problem is, when the batteries are fully charged, the systems shifts to 53Hz and this means no energy production from a PV inverter. So, the system becomes useless. That was actually the main reason to use Fronius inverter for boiler heater during the period of 6 – 7 months of the year. The rest time of the year to employ it for the whole system.

Thanks in advance,

Vyacheslav

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Vyacheslav Denysenko

I'd use the ac-out2 output to switch on loads to dump energy, and configure this to switch off below x% SOC (values depend on type/size of batter, etc)

with a smartmeter between fronius and Quattro, how can the Quattro charge if the smartmeter tries to keep feed-in to zero?

0 Likes 0 ·
Vyacheslav Denysenko avatar image Vyacheslav Denysenko Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Daniёl,

You are right, there are many easier ways to dump energy. In my particular case the Quattro is located quite far from the water heater, I don’t want to make extra cabling works (ACOut2 – Load). Additionally, 7 – 8 months of the year, easily gives a lot of possibilities to play with harvested energy. For the rest of the year, I would definitely pump energy from the Fronius inverter for keeping batteries charged and for loads with frequency shift. That’s just an idea, how it works we’ll see later on.

0 Likes 0 ·