question

c4lvin avatar image
c4lvin asked

2 Panels can work simultaneously with 2 different battery type battery banks ?

Hey guys I don't want to blow anything up but I got a hold of a 12V Lithium Phosphate battery along with a SmartSolar 75/15. I also have a separate 24V AGM battery bank from a another SmartSolar 75/15. I only have 2x 265 Solarworld 24V Panels running in parallel (more amps). Currently I'm swapping PV connections every other few days. My question is what will happen if I made a Y connector for 2 solar charge controllers running off the same PV. Is that even possible? I don't want to separate the 2 solar panels just to adjust to one battery bank system. Thanks in advance for the much needed help! Take care all!

battery chargingbattery
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

c4lvin avatar image c4lvin commented ·

for the life of me, I can't seem to find that thread. Is there a way @kai that you can provide me to that with a link? Thanks again!

0 Likes 0 ·
kai avatar image kai ♦ c4lvin commented ·

Hi c4lvin, please see matthijs' response. It is not a Victron supported configuration.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi sorry to step in, but thats absolutely not what our solar chargers are designed or tested for.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adev avatar image
adev answered ·

Lithium and AGM batteries have very different charge requirements, so you can’t charge them both at the same time from the same equipment.

By splitting the two panels to both charge controllers, you’d just be reducing the amount of power going to each battery bank. You may as well just have one panel on each charge controller/battery bank.

1 comment
2 |3000

c4lvin avatar image c4lvin commented ·

I'm aware they have different charging characteristics. I have TWO separate SmartSolar Charge Controllers but want to make a y split plug to one PV input. I ask because I don't want to have run another set of PV wires. I am ok with the power being limited because I only discharge 5-10% each night and will go into FLOAT mode within 3-5 hours so I'm fine if it cuts my input in half.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic