question

fenix avatar image
fenix asked

How to determine full PV power during times when the MPPT is limiting PV power.

Watt from Solar-

How to know the total of watt generated before the reduction?

i understand that the SmartSolar will send only Watt-Volts-Amp when the batteries need it but i am curious to know what is the value before.. directly coming out of the panel

Any tips?

MPPT Controllersamps
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
adev avatar image
adev answered ยท

There is no value UNLESS the load is on, (ie. the battery isnโ€™t charged and will accept a current). if there is no load on (no discharges battery and no load on the load terminals, if present) then the panels make now power at all, even though they have voltage.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tijn1974 avatar image tijn1974 commented ยท

Question, did u ever find a solution for your question? I have actually the same question only in a different situation. I have a off grid installation, and I would like to know how much power is thrown away (not produced). If I could see it, I could deside, oh itโ€™s just a little, or I need to install extra batteries etc.

If you did find some solution, please share it.

Kind regards,

Martin

1 Like 1 ยท
westen avatar image westen commented ยท

However. It would still be nice if someone came up with a way of measuring potential output-wattage. Maybe through a virtual load or something? Or a real load that does nothing but manifesting the potential? I dont't know.

0 Likes 0 ยท
David avatar image David westen commented ยท

You can fit a meter to the panel which will tell you the solar radiation they are receiving and then from the panel specification info work out the theoretical possible harvest.

For example, I have a Weather Station that provides me with various data incuding this for today ....

It is not on my panels but it gives me information that I can cross-reference with the Venus GX Data and can provide an explanation why what should be a peak harvest time was so poor (i.e. in the above example, 1PM should usually be a good time for solar but would have actually been terrible today (due probably to heavy cloud I imagine)).

You could get a similar meter (I don't have a link to any though) and use the data to work out what you could be getting. What you can actually usefully DO with that data I am not sure though?
I look at the above data sometimes to check if a new panel is behaving itself as expected, but only as a pattern, not an absolute reference.

0 Likes 0 ยท
1565896694122.png (22.1 KiB)
fenix avatar image fenix David commented ยท

i like that graph.. from where does it come?

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic