question

mihair avatar image
mihair asked

RS485 isolated converter

Hi

Can someone please recommend me a Venus OS compatible USB to iso RS485 dongle?

Thanks,

Mihai

Venus OSrs485
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey; since v2.20 we added the “Hjelmslund Electronics USB to RS485 Iso converter” to the software. Thats the one I recommend.

https://hjelmslund.eu/

They have different models (one with a connector, one with wire endings, one with a modbus connector). From top of my head; i dont think that the latter is useful.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
1 Like 1 ·
Peter Polz avatar image Peter Polz mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

thx for info, very good to know

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Those look nice.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

As a coincidence, look what came in on my "junk" email today.
It is based on FT232R (same as the Victron one) so maybe it will work. It is isolated too.
https://www.seeedstudio.com/USB-TO-RS232-RS485-TTL-Industrial-Isolated-Converter-p-3231.html

Go with the one Matthijs recommends if you want to be sure.

1 Like 1 ·
mihair avatar image mihair wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

@WKirby Thank you so much!

I already ordered two pcs. That's a marvoulose device, it can be used for taping on RS232 any protocol traveling on RS485 physical infrastructure.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mihair commented ·

Be aware that it might not work out of the box with our energy meters.

For those; use the approved rs485 usb cables: either the non isolated one that we ship; or the isolated one referenced earlier in this thread.

0 Likes 0 ·
mot avatar image mot mihair commented ·

@MihaiR have you got running the USB TO RS232 / RS485 / TTL Industrial Isolated Converter with energy meters and GX device?

Thanx & Regards Mot
0 Likes 0 ·
mihair avatar image mihair mot commented ·

Without any problem, for more than a year. I have two em111 connected on the same bus, one as a grid meter and the other one as pv inverter meter

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Example from their we site.

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Polz avatar image
Peter Polz answered ·

As @WKirby said take the orginal victron usb. If you want to add an isolation just search in google for "485 repeater galvanic isolation". There are many on market. Just put it between to isolate signals

2 |3000

laurentiupitran avatar image
laurentiupitran answered ·

hi,

DS_USB_RS485_CABLES (1).pdfpersonal i use this one

3 comments
2 |3000

mihair avatar image mihair commented ·

This cable is not galvanicaly isolated

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie mihair commented ·

These work perfectly never had a issue to date

0 Likes 0 ·
mihair avatar image mihair Rob Duthie commented ·

The problem is not if it works or not but how will behave when something bad happens, like a power surge in rs385 bus. A nonisolated adapter will take out the venus device

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)