question

Jon Schroeder avatar image
Jon Schroeder asked

Honda EU2200i will no longer power trailer Air Con after adding MultiPlus 12/2000

In the past, I've run my Airstream trailer's Air Conditioner (I believe it's a 13,500 BTU) using a Honda EU2200i generator without issue. I recently upgraded my electric system to include a Victron MultiPlus 12/2000. I have the 'shore power' cable running directly to the AC input of the multiplus (no automatic transfer switch), and AC out running directly from the multiplus to the AC panel.

In inverter mode and in pass-through mode (with the generator running), I can run all AC appliances without issue. The one exception being the Air Conditioner. Every time I turn that on, it gives me an 'overload' error. If I have the Multiplus in inverter mode (with the generator running), the inverter makes a loud 'inverting' noise, and shuts down due to overload error. If I have the multiplus in 'pass-through' mode, it doesn't make the loud noise, but still shuts down the system.

I had assumed that when in 'pass-through' mode, the generator would behave exactly like it did when it was wired directly to the panel. Clearly, that's not the case. I've tried increasing the input current limit (tried the max of 50A), with no change. Also tried inverter mode with and without the 'PowerAssist' enabled, again with no change.

Any suggestions?

Multiplus-IIGenerator
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Steve Mullins avatar image Steve Mullins commented ·

I was looking through the settings, and wonder if the “Dynamic Current Limit” might help. Has anyone used this before?

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
ben avatar image
ben answered ·

Sounds like some protection device inside MultiPlus is more sensitive than your generator's. Motors have pretty big starting current demand -- approaching six times the steady state load depending on the design.

One thing you might try is to eliminate any strange interaction between the generator and the inverter by instead plugging into the grid for your test. See if still trips on a 20A or larger feed from shore.

(Another "easy" solution is to add a soft-start circuit to your air conditioner.)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andsoitiswritten avatar image
andsoitiswritten answered ·

We had a very similar thing happen while we were dry camping in our Trailer at a music festival. We have the Multiplus 12/3000/120 and a Champion 3300 generator. Just like you our air conditioning worked fine before the Multiplus but now it was shutting down and not allowing pass through. Our temporary solution for the weekend was pretty simple... Just turned off the multi at the control panel and turned it back on and then it worked flawlessly from then on. Not sure why but this happened but it did this everytime the air conditioning hadn't been on for a while.

Its been about a week since the festival and I updated the firmware from 430 to 460 but i havent had the chance to test it out. We are going to a campground this weekend that has hookups so I hope it works fine on shore power. I am thinking the multi is just sensitive to generators... They do have a setting in Vconfig for weak generators but I haven't tried that.

6 comments
2 |3000

andsoitiswritten avatar image andsoitiswritten commented ·

Just hooked it up to shore power and it still does it... Turn on air conditioning and multiplus shuts off... Flip the switch off and back on and walla it works. Weird though i would have thought multi could handle the surge from the ac unit and why it works after I turn off and back on I do not know... I now know though thats its not the generator. Scratching my head at the moment.

0 Likes 0 ·
ben avatar image ben ♦ andsoitiswritten commented ·

Just speculating here, but you may be able to get a successful, subsequent start because of a delay feature inside your air-conditioner. It may be delaying the compressor restart when it senses another start in such a short interval. That delay may be spreading out the loads enough to stay under the threshold that trips the inverter's overload protection.

I don't know if that could be why you see this behavior, but I know my roof airs work this way.

0 Likes 0 ·
andsoitiswritten avatar image andsoitiswritten ben ♦ commented ·

I have another idea which may be the culprit. Since I only have 30 amp service I used 10 gage 3 conductor wire for the AC to and from the Multi. I am thinking I may need to use larger gage like 8 or 6. Any thoughts?

0 Likes 0 ·

I doubt it's the 10 AWG when we're talking high voltage.

Do you have the multi connected to a battery? If so, what type, and size, and what wires are you using? Also, do you have it set up for PowerAssist in VEconfigure?

0 Likes 0 ·
andsoitiswritten avatar image andsoitiswritten ben ♦ commented ·

I guess what I dont understand is... why the battery bank has any influence on the AC pass through. The batteries were 100 charged as well when this occurs. I have 2/0 wire going to the bank. I could go to 4/0 or double up the 2/0. I do have power assist mode on which i feel should be helping. Thing is the air conditioning works fine if i just bypass the multi all together for shore power or generator. Makes me feel like the Multi isnt as great of a product that I thought it was. But I am probably just missing something and hopefully will be able to figure this out.

0 Likes 0 ·

I don't know whether it really matters either, but can you answer the rest of the questions anyway? We can't help if you are just going to "wonder" rather than "do." :) And this line of exploration is relatively easy to pursue.

0 Likes 0 ·
Steve Mullins avatar image
Steve Mullins answered ·

Can someone show me how to enable “pass-through” mode. I don’tsee the settings in the Victron Connect app with the demo.

1 comment
2 |3000

ben avatar image ben ♦ commented ·

Please, start a new Question with this question.

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

I can run my 13500 btu AC off my batteries and Victron Multiplus 24/3000 without any starting issue. It does draw a lot of amps to start, but i am using 2 Tesla modules having 8kwatt hours. Most 2200 watt generators can not start a 13500 btu AC unit without a soft start compasitor installed in the AC unit. This will set you back $400. If you try to start with the Multiplus on in hybrid mode and the generator running I would think you could get it started if your batteries are in good shape and can crank out the needed amps. How old are your house batteries and what type? What size cable are you using between the 12/2000 inverter and batteries? I think spec calls for a double 1/0 or 50 mm2 cable on both the positive and negative connections.

PowerAssist (hybrid mode) check box is found on the inverter tab in the Victron Configure.

2 |3000