question

paul-a avatar image
paul-a asked

Venus GX Static IP issue

I'm trying to set a manual IP address but it won't allow the the fourth octet to be set above .235 when it should allow up to .254. Is this a known bug?

UPDATE: Had a closer look. When last octet is in 200 range, the last digit cant be higher than 5. The same issue occurs for IP address, Gateway & DNS server.

FYI. Subnet is set to 255.255.255.0

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ee21 avatar image
ee21 answered ·

I have mine set to .233 so I cannot really say as to that issue with the firmware of the device, but what you could do as a workaround is set a static DHCP reservation on your router/server(if you are using domain controllers like me). This is usually pretty easy, you just need to know the MAC address of your GX device (printed on a sticker on the device). The IP assigned to my Venus GX is currently handed out this way, and is 100% reliable for me... I'm happy to help if you need it, I would need to know the model of the router you are using though.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paul-a avatar image paul-a commented ·

Thanks for the response. Yes i could do that, except its not just affecting the device IP.

I just did a bit more playing around. The issue is a little different than I thought. It Affects manual addressing the Ip, Gateway and the DNS server.

In the 4th octet, once you're in the 200 range, the last digit cant be above 5. eg you can't enter 216, 217, 218 or 219, but you can use 220, 221, 223, 224 & 225. You cant enter 226...etc etc. Looks like a bug to me. (FYI this is with the subnet set to 255.255.255.0)

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Thanks for reporting @Paul A,

The fix for this is now in the beta of Venus 2.40 and should be part of that upcoming release.

2 |3000

Related Resources